• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine starting dose

Hi. I've recently been diagnosed with Crohns and I've been told by my consultant that I need to start taking Azathioprine. He says to start at 100mg increasing to 150mg after 2 weeks. I have received the medication from the chemist today as 50mg tablets and I am wondering about lengthening the start-up period and taking 50mg for 1 week and then go up to 100mg a week later and then 150mg 2 weeks after that so that it is a more gradual start. My thinking is that it may reduce the start up effects of this drug, ie. the nausea and head aches that people describe as getting. So has anyone had any experience with starting Azathioprine in a similar way to this or any other advise about how to go about starting it? Or is it actually best to just get it over with quickly rather than drag it out over a longer period. Hope someone can help. Thanks, Ben

Hey Benny,

I have been on Aza for 10 weeks, I started on 150mg and all I got was headaches and a bit of nausea. The headaches lasted for about 2 weeks though and i took the decision to reduce it to 100mg. After that it was all good, well except all my teeth fell out. no only joking haha

I thought the side effects were going to be worse than they were, I did worry after reading up on Aza before I started taking them. I guess every medicine effects everyone differently.
You will also be having regular blood tests to check for bone marrow deficiency, they should also show up any other little nasties that may be brewing up as well.

I would go with your gut instinct, if you feel you want to start on a low dose then do so. I think the docs want to load us up to knock the crohns into remmission asap. either way the only way to find out is by taking some and see how you get on. Any adverse side effects are quickly reversed if you stop taking the medicine.

Good luck and keep us posted how you get on

Well, I decided to start with 50mg on Friday evening to play it safe. Didn't feel anything, so decided to take 100mg on Saturday and again haven't felt anything. Hoping this continues as the days pass. Doc wants me up to 150mg in 2 weeks, so I'll let you know what that's like when I get there.