• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I was diagnosed with Crohns about a month ago. I was so relieved to finally know what was wrong with me. I spent 3 days in the hospital. I had a bowel obstruction and was told that I may have to have surgery. That scared the heck out of me! After many test and a colonoscopy I was told that I had Crohns. Everything made perfect sense... why I couldn't eat eat salad or raw veggies. Why the cramps I had felt like I was giving birth to a whole alien nation. So, I changed my diet, and I'm taking Pentasa and Prednisone. I have a Dr.s appointment next week to start a treatment plan. (I have no idea what that means). However, after all the craziness I feel great!! Reading the posts on this website has helped tremendously!

Hello and welcome! I know what a bowel obstruction is like...worst pain ever! :(

Glad you are feeling better now though and I hope that you can quickly find a treatment plan that works for you after you taper off the steroids (what that means, is that prednisone isn't good to take long term and you will need to find a drug or drugs that will prevent future flare ups and obstructions).

There are subforums for the common drugs you can check out. After my obstruction and diagnosis I went through many drugs before starting to take Humira which has helped quite a bit.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum!

Obstructions can be horrid, so I'm really glad to see that you are starting to feel better.

A treatment plan is where you sit down with your consultant and work out whats going to happen next, for many, this will include choosing a medication and may also include deciding when you need to do follow up testing, and what type of follow up testing you need (anything from bloods to scans to scopes) .

You will need to taper the prednisolone, this means that you lower the dose bit by bit and don't come straight off it.
You may choose to stay on the pentasa, but it is one of the mildest drugs used in crohns and usually works better alongside another drug.