• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa andfatigue

I have been diagnosed with a mild case of Crohn's and am on Pentasa, two 500mg pills four times a day for a total of 4,000 mg daily. Not only a I tired but exhausted. Any one else feel this way? How about problems sleeping?
Thanks,
Whit
P.S.-I am curious about the dosage levels other folks are taking.

Hi my daughters been on Pentasa for over a year. She takes 2500mg once a day in the afternoon. I think the fatigue could have more to do with the disease than the tablets. How are your iron levels?

Thanks for the info. I had a physical yesterday with blood drawn also. I should know about my iron levels next week.
Whit

I started Pentasa today and was prescribed the same as you - 4000 mg daily. While ideally I'm to take 2 capsules 4 times per day, my doc said it's okay to take 4 capsules twice a day.

I'm also on Entocort, Prednisone, and Humira for Crohn's.

I hope these questions aren't to invasive, but how long have you been diagnosed with Crohn's? I am going on two years and have just been on Mesalamine type drugs. What exactly is humira and entocort for?
The reason I asked about how long you've been diagnosed is because I've gone through cycles of drugs that work for awhile and then don't.
Thanks.
Whit

I was just diagnosed the end of last year and put on the same dose of Pentasa as you. Unfortunately for me I did not see a difference. I do have pretty extreme fatigue but am told it's due to my iron levels (sitting at 86 haemoglobin count). That may be your culprit? Keep us updated when you get your blood test results back next week, if you'd like :)

Good luck! Sending good vibes your way!

Upset mom & Fayee,
My blood test showed my iron levels are fine but I have an elevated white blood cell count which the doctor says is indicative of an infection in my ileum. I see a new GI on Monday and I will see what he says.
Whit

Hi Whit -

Sorry if you were asking me about the Pentasa. I'm not really sure, but I assume my doc added it because the Humira wasn't working. I was diagnosed with Crohns about eight years ago - went in remission until Aug 2013, and have been in a flare since that time. I'm currently taking Pentasa, Humira, Entocort, and Prednisone. I'm miserable and getting no relief. My doc is wanting to do some testing for the Humira antibodies, but the insurance company is fussing over the cost of the bloodtest, so it hasn't been approved yet. It's all kinda a waiting game right now.