• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Our Crohn's Story

I gave this the title of "Our Story" because from the moment our son was diagnosed with Crohn's it became something we all suffered from. By no means am I saying that what we've dealt with was anywhere close to Patrick's misery, but as you all know, Crohn's leaves it's scars on everyone.

My son was diagnosed almost 10 years ago when he was just 18. I won't go into the very long and difficult story of those years but suffice it to say that he had a severe flare at 20 and never was able to achieve remission since then. Every medication has been tried, several major surgeries, multiple hospital visits . . . many know the drill I'm sure. Every doctor we had seen for the last few years recommended a permanent bag because they felt there was nothing else they could do. For many that provides an improved quality of life but Patrick was absolutely opposed to that option. So we've been in a holding pattern waiting for something that could help him.

I began doing research on stem cell transplants, which led me to the threads on this site dedicated to that very subject. After almost a year and a half of waiting, Patrick was admitted to the program at Northwestern with Dr. Burt. He had a cord blood transplant on January 23, 2014. He's at home recuperating now. It's been a rough couple of weeks but we have hope for better days ahead for the first time in a long time!

I admire the courage that you all have to keep moving forward and to support each other thru this forum. Thanks!

Hope this works for him! Be sure to incorporate a good daily probiotic to help his belly balance. Digestive enzymes may help him as well. It is a bit of detective work for everyone to figure out what works for them. good luck!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Just want to wish your son all the luck in the world that this works for him. I'm sure you've already seen it but, if not, search out user 'effdee' - he had a stem cell transplant also with Dr. Burt and has done very well (effdee also maintained a thread posting all his experiences and success).

I hope your son is comfortable now and that the next step in this process comes soon! Please keep us updated! :ghug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi JustAMom and :welcome:

I am so very sorry to hear of all your son and family have been through but was so happy to read that you had researched SCT and Patrick has had one! I hope with all my heart that it is successful and he soon finds long and lasting peace and relief. Good luck!!!

Dusty. xxx

Hello JustAMom and :welcome: sending :ghug: your way. I really hope everything works out for Patrick keep us posted on how he's doing.