• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swollen thyroid?

I have crohns and am seeing hematologist due to iron deficiency. She mentioned Monday that I had a swollen thyroid. I had thyroid blood test done in 2011 that was normal. My husband thinks that my neck has a swollen for a long time. The doctor said that it was in the area of the thyroid. I Asked my primary care doctor if there was any indication of neck swelling in my file and she said no. I will have to schedule an appointment with my primary care physician to get set up for an ultrasound. I have pretty bad crohns that has been active for about ten years, never remission and have been on multiple meds including Humira, remicade, cimzia. I currently am on cimzia. I asked gastro if these meds could be causing swelling and gastro doesn't think its caused by meds. Since I don't have over or under active thyroid, I worry its cancer. The gastro said primary care physician would probably do ultrasound and gastro said it could be a nodule.

Has anyone had swollen thyroid? Or a swollen neck? I'm wondering if this is normal and if it could even be nothing?

Yes, i did get swollen thyroid. Lymph nodes also. Then the spleen. It was never diagnosed as anything distinct. Following that I had a time with swollen muscles, heart included. The biopsy showed a cell garbage disposal issue. I take Mucinex since then, it works wonders and nobody is sure why.

I started with Imuran, which made me very sick. Antibiotics, so yes to biologics. What worked was Hizentra, human blood plasma infusions.