• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate in Combination With Infliximab Is No More Effective Than Infliximab Alone in Patients With Crohn's Disease

kiny

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085%2813%2901671-5/abstract

Methotrexate in Combination With Infliximab Is No More Effective Than Infliximab Alone in Patients With Crohn's Disease

March 2014

Brian G. Feaganemail,John W.D. McDonaldRemo PanaccioneRobert A. Enns,
Charles N. BernsteinTerry P. PonichRaymond BourdagesDonald G. MacIntosh
Chrystian DallaireAlbert CohenRichard N. FedorakPierre ParéAlain BittonFred SaibilFrank AndersonAllan DonnerCindy J. WongGuangyong ZouMargaret K. VandervoortMarybeth HopkinsGordon R. Greenberg

Background & Aims

Methotrexate and infliximab are effective therapies for Crohn's disease (CD). In the combination of maintenance methotrexate-infliximab trial, we evaluated the potential superiority of combination therapy over infliximab alone.

Methods

In a 50-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, we compared methotrexate and infliximab with infliximab alone in 126 patients with CD who had initiated prednisone induction therapy (15–40 mg/day) within the preceding 6 weeks. Patients were assigned randomly to groups given methotrexate at an initial weekly dose of 10 mg, escalating to 25 mg/week (n = 63), or placebo (n = 63). Both groups received infliximab (5 mg/kg of body weight) at weeks 1, 3, 7, and 14, and every 8 weeks thereafter. Prednisone was tapered, beginning at week 1, and discontinued no later than week 14. The primary outcome was time to treatment failure, defined as a lack of prednisone-free remission (CD Activity Index, <150) at week 14 or failure to maintain remission through week 50.

Results

Patients' baseline characteristics were similar between groups. By week 50, the actuarial rate of treatment failure was 30.6% in the combination therapy group compared with 29.8% in the infliximab monotherapy group (P = .63; hazard ratio, 1.16; 95% confidence interval, 0.62–2.17). Prespecified subgroup analyses failed to show a benefit in patients with short disease duration or an increased level of C-reactive protein. No clinically meaningful differences were observed in secondary outcomes. Combination therapy was well tolerated.

Conclusions

The combination of infliximab and methotrexate, although safe, was no more effective than infliximab alone in patients with CD receiving treatment with prednisone.

I think the main reason for them being prescribed together is not making the therapy more effective; but trying to prevent antibodies to infliximab. I know infliximab is a chimeric monoclonal antibody so duo therapy is helpful but what about human, humanized biologics like adalimumab, certolizumab, vedolizumab?
This one gives answers I guess; but I'm not fully sure:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=63541

theOcean

I think the main reason for them being prescribed together is not making the therapy more effective; but trying to prevent antibodies to infliximab. I know infliximab is a chimeric monoclonal antibody so duo therapy is helpful but what about human, humanized biologics like adalimumab, certolizumab, vedolizumab?
This one gives answers I guess; but I'm not fully sure:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=63541
That it was to prevent antibodies was what my GI told me when I went on Imuran in combination with Humira. Otherwise I always felt Imuran was more effective at maintaining remission rather than helping cause it.

nogutsnoglory

This study shows that the combo was not more statically helpful at protecting against antibody development. The two drugs may help fight the condition though since you are introducing two big guns.