• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Takedown surgery in a few days!

It has been since 3/18/13 that I have had this ileostomy, and I have counted the days since then to get the reversal done.

Well today the doctor gave me the final clearance for my surgery which is scheduled for March 3. I can't wait for this to be over with. I know down the road I might have to deal with it again...but for the here and now i'll take returning to somewhat of normal!

Well we ran into a small snag. I was on the OR table, sedated and ready to go. Doctor took the bag off and noticed pus coming from around one side of the stoma. Determined I had an abscess next to the stoma and had to hold the surgery. So I'm in the hospital now with a drain in and on antibiotics. Just had a CT scan done and we will see if we can move with the surgery....so hopefully just a small bump and that maybe I can get it done tmrw

Well they discharged on Thursday to continue at home oral antibiotics and they have a drain in the abscess to clear it. Surgery rescheduled for Tuesday 3/11. Sounds like they'll do the takedown and pull the drain and clean that area out at the same time. So after surgery it sounds like they'll leave that part of the incision open and use a wound vac to close it.

So tmrw starts the 2nd time doing the pre surgery prep...that "delicious" drink stuff...joy lol.

Hi LemSat87 how did your take down surgery go ? I hope you are on the mend. I am waiting for takedown op myself and am interested to know what happens ! Fingers crossed for you

Surgery went well, they did the takedown and things are working good. Using the bathroom about 10 times a day right now. A lot of gas, but it's tolerable. Wearing an abdominal binder right now to help keep everything together.