• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Wheat Belly

I was diagnosed with crohns 50+ years ago and have been on Pentasa for most of my adult life and am now on Imuran 200 mg a day for the past 3 years. Had a bowel resection due to 4 separate incidents of massive blood loss but the source couldn't be identified but was certainly the crohn's especially confirmed after the section removed. Approx 1.5 years ago I went on the wheat belly diet (no gluten) to lose some weight and lost about four pounds (no big deal) but the amazing thing was that my crohn's symptoms almost disappeared.
This phenomenon continues today and my gastro doc is amazed. Almost 2 yearswith basically zero symptoms but I am still on the Imuran. I am having new problems with arthritis in my hands but that just started recently.

Hey there Wheat Belly ... My diagnosis started out to be " leaky gut " .. within one month I was Celiac . The wheat belly , leaky gut and Celiac all have " side effects " such as IBS , Crohn's Disease , Gerd , and if you irritate your intestines enough (usually started with Antibiotics which kill off the good bacteria in your gut ) Which was the case for me .. AND you've been thru a traumatic event , this can also be the onset . For me , it was long term exposure to Black Mold .. along with a break up that I should have done years prior ! LOL . Thankfully , I had a good " alternative " Doctor . He nailed it right off the bat . Toxins ( mold ) compromised my already weakened immune system ( from antibiotics ) .. I blew up so fast it felt like I was a hot air balloon with no way to let the air out ! There was also a great deal of rectal bleed going on , with regular M.D.'s chalking it up to hemorrhoids .( wrong )
Strictly Organic , grass fed beef , Organic Turkey and Wild Alaskan Salmon are all the meats allowed ..Gluten free , dairy free , soy free , corn free and a few more has slimmed my waistline back down , but the slightest re-contamination and WHAM ! I am fully symptomatic all over again . All it takes is a crumb to cross contaminate you and you are miserable , for days ! There are sooooo many sneaky names for all that I have listed here . I'm getting a first class education in dietary needs for healing myself with food . It will blow your mind how well it works !
Sound familiar anyone ?

Last edited: