• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello from Dave

Hello everyone! My name is Dave.

I was diagnosed with Mild Indeterminite Colitis in October, 2010. My doctor says that I show signs/symptoms of both Crohn's and UC, however, he leans more toward UC as Lialda has been keeping things under control for quite some time. I consider myself extremely lucky to only have a mild case of this "gift that keeps on giving", compared to some of the stories I've seen here.

Not too much to my story as I have been very fortunate to only have had two flare ups since being diagnosed. The second flare up is happening as I write this but, I won't complain. Although I hate it, I'm trying smoking for a very brief time to see if I can't get it back into remission. I hate it because I had smoked previously for 25 years and had given it up for 4 until today. Odd thing is, I was diagnosed 5 months after quitting. Either way though, if things don't get squelched here in the next few days, I'll make my call to the doc...and toss the damn cigarettes.

I'm looking forward to being a member of these forums and hopefully I can be of some help sometime.

Take care, everyone.

-Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

I hope they can get your inflammation under control soon.

maybe there is another way to get the effect of the cigarette without the cigarette. ... does seem strange (but have heard that before)

hope you find some great support and info

David

Co-Founder
Hi there Dave. Thanks for joining the community and sharing your story.

Out of curiosity, what are your symptoms? What symptoms do you have that point to Crohn's?

All my best to you.

@Hope345
Thank you! I hope they work too, but I don't see me trying it for too long. I really can't stand smoking.

@David
Thank you! As far as the symptoms go, it's nausea, cramps/spasms, inflammation, blood in the stool and multiple BM's per day. If memory serves, my doctor said that part of the affected area was typical for Crohn's so, he put me in the middle between that and UC. Also, he mentioned the biopsies confirmed Crohn's as well.

@pink&green
Thank you and thank you!

DaveR:

There is a cortifoam that may help with some of your symptoms. We also gave our daugher Codeine for 2 days when she was at her worst. The codeine is monitored very well but the Cortifoam is used EVERY night. It has worked the best to treat her symptoms. It is a topical steroid and does not have the side effects as prednisone.

The only problem is that it works only up through the sigmoid colon. But it helps!!!!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Dave,

Was part of your small intestine inflamed?

If the biopsy confirmed Crohn's, why is your GI still calling it Indeterminate Colitis?

I'm worried because while smoking can be beneficial for Ulcerative Colitis, it is REALLY BAD for Crohn's.