• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Before starting SCD

Hello,

26 male from India diagnosed with crohns six months back,presently on company leave for six months (with out salary). Looking for other career options.

first Colonoscopy result (dated august 2013): Multiple ulcers in cecum and ilieum

CT Enterography : Short mural thickening of Terminal Ileium.

Second Colonoscopy result(dated January 2014): Ulcers are gone and infammation present in ileum.

Currently on medicine: (around 12 pills/day)
Pentasa 2g
Vitamin D : 1000 IU
Calcium : 1000 mg
Folic acid : 5mg and some of IBS and anti gastric medicines

FOODS AVOIDED for Last Six months :
Potatoes,Sugar,okra,some of lentils,beans,Carbonated drinks,cabbage, mostly outside food.

Foods mostly eating :
White Rice,some lentils, fruits likebananas,oranges,grapes,water melon.vegatables: Boiled carrots,egg plant,bottle guard etc and SCD yoghurt and eggs,honey (I am vegetarian).

Main Problems : I am losing weight from 125 pounds to 113 pounds (height 5 feet 7 inches) and extreme fatigue ( i want to run 100m sprint as quick as Bolt :)).

I discussed about some diets available in internet with doctor and he told diet will not do anything with this disease. But he told avoid foods which are intolerant.

I read Elaine's book and imported Yogourmet yoghurt maker from USA.

I really want to try SCD (even though parents opposing,they say how i will get energy with out carb's). Is it possible with vegeterian food?

Can't really help you much with SCD, but I personally avoid oranges and too many grapes (though I really like them!!)
I find raw fruit and veges with structural "skin" or compartments seems to stir up my Crohn's
So I keep away from oranges, grapefruit, lettuce and assorted raw salad greens..
Other fruits (berries, banana, melon, mango pulp) seem to be ok, and cooked veges are fine for me

HD

Based on our four days on SCD... I think that if you can't eat meat you will be eating all the time, and I hope you like eating nuts!

It is absolutely untrue to say that you cannot improve by changing your diet.

FOODS AVOIDED for Last Six months :
Potatoes,Sugar,okra,some of lentils,beans,Carbonated drinks,cabbage, mostly outside food.

Foods mostly eating :
White Rice,some lentils, fruits likebananas,oranges,grapes,water melon.vegatables: Boiled carrots,egg plant,bottle guard etc and SCD yoghurt and eggs,honey (I am vegetarian).

Main Problems : I am losing weight from 125 pounds to 113 pounds (height 5 feet 7 inches) and extreme fatigue ( i want to run 100m sprint as quick as Bolt :)).

I read Elaine's book and imported Yogourmet yoghurt maker from USA.

I really want to try SCD (even though parents opposing,they say how i will get energy with out carb's). Is it possible with vegeterian food?
I didn't see wheat/Gluten on either of your lists so make sure it is avoided totally....

Have you checked for confounding issues?
parasites, deficiencies, intolerances (lactose, egg whites)

The way ketogenic diets (very low carb diets like SCD, GAPS, low-carb paleo, aitkins etc) work is that the body burns fats for energy. It takes a while for your body to remember how after a life of carbohydrate rich foods so there may be a period when you feel bad (tired, flue like symptoms) but that passes. Many thrive on ketogenic diets (with meat) but there are long term issues for some people with ketogenic diets.

It is definitely harder as a vegetarian but still possible, and it is important to eat enough fats (in your case mainly coconut oil, and butter/ghee) but build up slowly as fats are often not digested well by people with digestive issues.

SCD specifically recommends avoiding bifidus bacteria so make sure you use the right yougurt culture....

With eggs and dairy it should be possible....
Are you a strict (ovo-lacto)vegetarian?, no chance of fish/chicken?
"The following question and answer is from the SCD Wisdom section of www.healingcrow.com:
Question: I have a urgent question for you vegetarians... how do you manage to stay vegetarian on the SCD diet and still get enough protein?
Elaine writes: In the book, I say to vegetarians: do not go on the diet unless you will eat one egg per day or more and some cheese. You can get enough complete protein if you eat these foods. But if you do not, you will have a hard time and it is not healthful with IBD. Please reread the book."

Explore the forum as the question has cone up quite often.

Thanks everyone for reply,

ellie
what you told is correct,I also faced problems with grapes ,apple sometimes,but i am fine with oranges.

Ibligh,

Its really hard with nuts (pea nuts is ok) for me. I tried almond nut powder once, after three months from first flare. May be i am not completely on SCD,it is difficult to digest initially.

Hugh,
Yes I am completely avoided Wheat from last 2 months.

I dont know about parasite.Is any seperate test for this? Biopsy report shows tissue with white blood cells (lymphocytes,nuetrophils).

Vitamin D and calcium levels are ok (37 ng/ml and 9.5). May be have to check for vitamin B12.

I am fine with SCD yoghurt. Just i switched from normal curd to SCD one. But i dont know about whether bifidus bacteria present in yoghurt
(curd) culture. Because as a starter i am using commercial one ( we don't get culture as separate packets). Danone is not available here.

Egg whites is better for me compared to yolk part (as more fat present in it).

I am lacto-ovo vegetarian.In india you can often see these traditions.

I will start SCD ,so that i can get rid of joint pains,fatigue and 15 pills/day in future hopefully.

one thing bothers me is Multi vitamin tablets what i am consuming contains starch and yeast. Ellaine mentioned that small quantity is ok. Is this negligible for continuing SCD?