• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed

Hi all. I'm Denise, 40, Peterborough.

It's only been a few days since my Crohn's diagnosis and I suppose a lot of people at this point would be quite scared, but I'm fortunate to have grown up knowing all about Crohn's. My Dad was diagnosed back in 1976 (when no-one else had heard of it), so I don't remember a time when it wasn't a feature of our family.

My diagnosis came about as for some time I'd been passing blood. For ages it was put down to recurring piles (nice) but when it became much heavier and I started suffering severe exhaustion and eye irritation I went back to my doctor for a good old moan. Blood tests showed I am severely iron deficient and indicated inflammation. I was seen by a consultant within 10 days and he, upon performing a rectal exam, found inflammation and took a biopsy.

I'm sooooooo much luckier than lots of you. I don't really have pain, just some dull discomfort sometimes. The predominant symptom is the bleeding and (apologies in advance) mucus.

I have to go back to my GP tomorrow to get my prescription, for an enema I have to use twice a day for 2 weeks, then once a day for 2 weeks, and also some pills, the name of which I can't remember. And then I have a follow-up with my consultant in April.

So that's my story so far.

By the way, have been prescribed ferrous fumarate 210mg for the anaemia but they make me horribly sick, does anyone know of effective alternatives?

Denise - ask your doctor about taking ferrous sulfate - I can't tolerate ferrous fume rate either somthey switched me to sulfate instead. Worked for me.

BTW, welcome to the forum. There's lots of useful information here and it's a good place to vent if you need to. People here understand what we're going through.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome DeniseM73

No need to apologize for describing what your going through.It helps to be descriptive.It may sound rude to non crohnies.I'm sure with your Dad's experience you have heard quite a lot of poop related conversations.Just a lovely perk of CD. :poop: