• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hpylori Diagnosis...went through treatment still feel the same.

Hey everyone, just found this site... it sounds like its gonna be great help. Ive always had tummy troubles but just recently they been keeping me from doing what normal humans get to do... like eat worry free...and go places worry free... and work. I went to a Surgeon that also specializes alimentary tract... I got diagnosed with crohnic gastritis, esophagitis, gerd , with edema and or hypermia in my duodenal. and came back positive on hpylori.... im almost completely done with the meds and im not feeling better... so i almost feel like this isnt my answer...hpylori is a bacteria that resides in half the world population but only like a fifth of thos who have it notice any signs. My doc didnt even give my a full colonoscopy ...just a flex sig. I just was wondering if any of you had to go through the treatment for hpylori... and what happened after it.

hey stevi, when i started having my symptoms the doctors thought it was h.pylori also, so i started treatment for that. the treatment is kind of rough.. sometimes it made me feel worse than i did before i even started it. how are you feeling now? have you finished a full course of meds?

Im done with them all. I saw my doctor he said i should be feeling much better...but also mentioned crohns.... the antibiotics were terrible but i still feel really bad and have all the symptoms i went to the doctors with... I think they just hope its a bacteria they can get rid of and so treat it first. :( The doctor wants to see me in a week after being on no antibiotics and no meds he wants to see if it was the meds keeping the symptoms.

Why would you need a colonoscopy when you problems are upper GI? How were you diagnosed with gastritis?

I posted in my thread that I have been treated twice for h pylori, the first time about 15 years ago when I had a stomach ulcer and the meds worked and the ulcer cleared up. This time my doctor suspects gastritis as part of my problems but the 2 antibiotics and ppi did nothing at all. For me I just have upper abdominal tenderness together with lower gi problems. But from what I have read is that gastritis can take months to heal and you need to be on a ppi for at least a couple of months. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I got a Endoscopy the doctor took biopsies In my distal esophageal it says i have "Chronic Gastroesophagitis, mild" ... my Duodenal (first part of small intestine) It says doudenal mucosa with mild edema and/or hyperemia... and in my gastric antrum biopsy its says Chronic Active Gastritis. I went there with problems with my Lower GI... Bloating, Diarrhea, mucous in stool, abdominal pain, sore butt( haha).. and i lost like fifteen pounds... I think that when the doc found the hpylory I think he just discarded everything else it could be and when i came back even lighter and..still sick he was stumped ...told me to come back in a week... my doc took me off the ppi so he could make sure it wasnt keeping my symptoms around...(diarrhea)

yeah, i'm kind of in the same position stevi, i kept getting tested for infections because i am having a lot of upper abdominal tenderness. my endoscopy also showed chronic gastritis.. but for no rhyme or reason. the h pylori definitely can totally screw up your system. it could also be that you had it at one point, but now your body is still having inflammation even though the infection is gone - instead of targeting the bacteria, it targets your intestines. that happens pretty frequently i think.
how did your doctor test you for h.pylori? like a blood test or stool sample? or from the biopsy?

Stool and Biopsy.... but i havent been tested negative for it... guess i cant have anti biotics for two weeks before the breath test to see if its eradicated... if it is... than i think hell have to do more searching.... if its not ... more bug killing... :(

ugh it's so frustrating i'm sorry :( i really hope you find a definite answer so that you can get back to living as normal a life as you can!!
by the way do you take probiotics? those might help you a lot too. also my doc told me that pepto bismol could actually also help treat h.pylori, and it's also good for other GI problems too

Yeah i had two different antibiotics and like three doses of pepto bismol a day :( i think those buggers are dead but ill keep you posted :) ... i am downing probiotics now that im done with the treatment haha. i love them. ive been off my meds for two days... still feel sick but maybe itll go away. whats your update?

well i had the whole h.pylori thing earlier this fall.. i've had a lot of different symptoms since then. i was never 100% positive with a h.pylori diagnosis, they just gave me the treatment anyways as a preventative measure (so stupid.) i'm going for a colonoscopy in a few weeks and just kind of driving myself nuts before then lol

Im sorry they didnt test you): I wish i could have got a colonoscopy instead of a flex sig so I could just know whats going on 100 percent.

I mean they sort of tested me.. I was mildly positive on a blood test but since those aren't the most accurate methods it was kind of a 'just in case' thing. And yeah I was kind of trying to avoid the colonoscopy for as long as I could but I think I realized now that it's probably the best way to figure out what's going on:confused2:

We all have our bodies :( i know i wouldnt voluntarily get a colonoscopy either. lol no fun... buts its worth it to get your mind at ease.

I'm a full time student and although I haven't had to take any time off.. Just being so fatigued and tired and constantly having bathroom issues kind of keeps me from focusing as much as I could have ya know

I know what you mean :( try your best to get some rest though its really important... dont keep going til you break... thats what i did and now it seems that i can not get back up