• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yet another new member - my story

Ok to cut a very long story short, I was diagnosed firstly with an indeterminable IBD, then this was changed to crohns. I had a subtotal colectomy and ileostomy in November 2011. A year later a stoma blockage but now have a parastomal hernia in my fistula (which is described by my surgeon as enormous).
The good news (and bad) is that my surgeon confirmed that I am going to have to have a proctectomy soon. I am finding the thought of another operation daunting. Anyone have any advice for me please?

nogutsnoglory

Wow the stuff we need to go through! I never even knew a hernia can develop inside a fistula. I'm sorry I don't have advise but wishing you peace of mind and health! We have a great and active stoma forum and many with huge hernias who may have some advise on hernia surgery.

Sorry perhaps in my haste I should have checked my language I use on a daily basis. The hernia is around the fistula not in the fistula. However if you think of say a melon that would be about the size of it. I also have a smaller hernia around the stoma, (possible cause of the blockage).

Apologies