• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Skin around stoma

My son is 3 weeks post op for his ileostomy. I notice the skin around his stoma is getting red. Not all of the skin that the bag sticks to just the parts right around the stoma.. Any advice on what I should do? I have to powder and barrier wipes. that was all my nurse said to do for red skin, but it doesn't seen to be helping.
Thanks

nogutsnoglory

He might be having an allergy to the product or is he having leaks? Have you seen an ostomy nurse or regular nurse? He might need his skin evaluated.

he does leak sometimes, but the red skin is on the other side. The skin where it leaks seems to be fine. I have a number for a nurse to call and will get him an appointment. Not sure if some is getting under and causing the problem. Its not red all the way around the stoma so I'm not sure if it is just irritated or if a reaction is starting.

nogutsnoglory

Well if it was a reaction I don't think it would be one area but rather the whole area. It's more likely the leak hit there or some skin condition is developing. Definitely worth getting it checked out by a WOCN.

PsychoJane

Is it just a few millimeter around the stoma? If so, it might likely be a zone where feces end up touching his skin without actually being a leak per say (for me this only appears on the lower half of my stoma for instance). The acid from the output can easily eat/dissolve the product form the barrier and it can leave enough space to cause that type of irritation. Would you say that it looks like the skin is a bit raw?

If this is similar to what you observe then, the paste and powder strategy might not be enough or last long enough. Ask your son if it itches. I sometimes wait for an extra day before changing my appliance (let say I feel lazy) and when I do so it sometimes end up itching and showing a red zone because the barrier broke. Because I am used to my products and routine I rarely have irritation issues now but I recently started using mouldable Secuplast from Salt to prevent them and it seems last much longer than just the paste that I had stopped using. I make a tiny roll from the disc of paste and snug it to my stoma and then I put the flange and press well all around to assure a perfect seal.

The nurse will likely be able to tell. If she says it's irritated, that strategy might be helpful for you.