• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What do you eat?

Hello all,
What do you eat when you can't really eat much of anything, it seems as though everything I have eaten makes the pain worse. I have now cut out dairy, breads or starches of any kind for that matter, eggs, lettuce, oats,most soups, all meats and I still cant get any relief. What would you guys do in this situation? I have a drs appt at the end of the month, but just waiting til then. could you please give me some suggestions?
Thx a lot! :confused2: :sign0085:

rice krispies, smoothies, yogurt (activia), lets see what else.... Beef tenderloin (weird i know but most tender meat). Mashed Potatos, Chicken Noodle Soup and crackers.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
That's a long list of stuff that you are cutting out. Not sure what's left besides fruits and veggies.
When I am flaring, I stick to very simple/bland foods. Bananas, grilled cheese, canned chicken & rice soup, bagels with peanut butter, and breakfast drinks.

Is there a reason you are cutting out so many groups at once?

My suggestions won't help you much if you cut out starch, but that's what helps me. Maybe you can google 'low residue diet' and see if anything there helps you out.

The reason is

I am trying to pinpoint exactly what types of food make it really really worse. I have looked up the low reside diet, it has alot of things with starch in it. I am just trying the best that I can. I have a 5 month old baby that i am still trying to bf so I want to keep my strength up for him and I had a 4 year old as well. And they shouldnt have to deal with me laying in bed for hours its been a few weeks since I really was able to take him to the park or walk down to the duck pond. I am just trying to help the bleeding and the pain at the same time, am I going about this the wrong way?

foods i eat when im trying to be gentle is rice, chicken breast, egg noodles, yogurt, soups.....

maybe try making more of your own foods? if you make your own soup with just chicken, and really really cooked down veggies so that theyre soft then you know exactly what youre eating.
it also may be the case that what types of foods you eat may not make much of a difference for you right now. ive found that at different points of activity in my disease, certain food seems to upset my tummy worse and then other times it hurts the same no matter what i eat.

i think its a good idea to try and figure out problem foods, but not if its at the expense of adequate nutrition all together, you know?
good luck

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
i know when im flairing the only thing i can eat is slatien crackers, and thats all i eat untill i get some type of releif weather that be pain meds or a hospital stay. but i dont think that will do much for strength...

When flaring I can eat spaghetti (no meat), mashed potatoes, soups, crackers (plain), toast, cream of wheat, refried beans (and bean and cheese burritos), and rice. I also drink Ensure or Boost when flaring to make sure I am getting all the nutrients I need since I can't eat like any veggies or fruits.

my boyfriend would say i eat a baby food diet

to get my veggies and nutrients during a flare, I steam the veggies for 15 minutes and puree them (remove any tough skins first) then you can mix veggie purees in with just about anything in the place of just about any liquid.
a few examples: yam or squash in french toast instead of milk, brocolli or carrot instead of milk in chicken fingers, replace 1/4 cup of water in oatmeal with yam or carrot puree, or just add to any soup or sauce for a little nutrient boost

i generally stick to anything that seems really soft during a flare, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, bananas, smoothies, white pasta, white rice. If i don't have to chew it or crunch it then in theory it wont be so uncomfortable as it passes through.

i'm having a lot of success with this new diet. I like to make everything from scratch. when i can see and know exactly whats going in then i can pinpoint what is bothering me.

When I get really bad I drink a Synergy Smoothie- It sounds bad but it gives me the energy I need and lets me heal. I highly recommend the book Patient Heal Thyself. If I give the recipe to you please don't get sick like I first did. Give it a try. It is easy to absorb and it contains large amounts of Live enzymes, ect. 10 ounces cultured goats milk dairy product(Probiogurt) or 10 ounces of full fat coconut oil. 1 tablespoon cold pressed flax seed oil 1-2 tablespoons of unheated honey, 1 table spoon goats milk protein powder
1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit organic
vanilla extra optional

Synergy Drink

When I get really bad I drink a Synergy Smoothie- It sounds bad but it gives me the energy I need and lets me heal. I highly recommend the book Patient Heal Thyself. If I give the recipe to you please don't get sick like I first did. Give it a try. It is easy to absorb and it contains large amounts of Live enzymes, ect. 10 ounces cultured goats milk dairy product(Probiogurt) or 10 ounces of full fat coconut oil. 1 tablespoon cold pressed flax seed oil 1-2 tablespoons of unheated honey, 1 table spoon goats milk protein powder
vanilla extra optional

vanilla extra optional

I stick to things like soup, mashed potato, bland things. When i'm flaring I always get ulcers in my mouth. I use those to determine whether what i'm eating will affect my bowel - if it stings my mouth it will sure as hell sting my bowel! Thats my theory anyway.
I get cravings for certain things and get fussy. I drink tea rather than coffee in a flare and will want a certain brand of bread, certain flavour of crisps. I'm usually safe with yoghurt, cottage cheese, thin toast, cornflakes.

I have no problem tolerating dairy when in remission, but in a flare I always buy goats milk. It doesn't make a massive difference but its just somehow 'gentler'.