• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Better late than never

Hi, I have just discovered this site :). Wish I had found it months ago.

I was told over 20 years ago that I probably had IBS, I didn't go back to the doctor about it as there didn't seem much point, suffered with problem bowels for years but never too bad to go to doc again with.

Last September I had keyhole surgery to remove an ovary ( I had the other removed a year before and hysterectomy the year before that). Although doctor explained there was a small risk of a colostomy if there was complications, all appeared to be well and I went home the day after surgery.

2 days later I was admitted to hospital again with bad stomach pains, X-rays and scans were done but no treatment given, 2 days later I not only felt but heard my bowel perforate. As my observations were not too bad the nurses/doctors were not taking it too serious despite me telling them how much pain I was in. I had an undiagnosed broken ankle years ago and managed to worked for 2 weeks with it so I have a high pain threshold. This was the worst I have ever experienced and would not wish it on anyone.
The consultant later said this was common with women as we just cope until we crash!

After 3 hours of hell on earth the consultant came and realised how bad I was as she knew me from previous surgeries. I went into surgery and came out with a colostomy, after a couple of weeks, once I was actually aware of what happened ( how close I was to not being here) I was told that the colostomy was not viable and I had a lot of infection and they had to operate again once I was well enough.

After 2 months I finally got home with a vac PAC as I had an open wound, which healed earlier this year.
In discharge letter they queried Crohn's disease, after reading some threads on here it all makes sense.

I returned to work 6 months after surgery.

Consultant has said that I can have a reversal however it will be a very difficult op and the outcome will not be as good as I had expected, has anyone had a reversal?

Would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks and sorry to have written so much.

Last edited:
Welcome!
Sorry for all you have been through. The length is fine, don't worry on here about being too long. We are here for support and to listen :). No real advice but think it over, maybe talk to your consultant again and get him to give a detailed reason why he thinks the way he does.

Hugs.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum :). I'm sorry to see that you've being having a hard time, but I'm really glad you've found us, this place is full of people who understand what it's like to be in this sort of situation and who can give you lots of support and advice.

Personally, I've never had a stoma, but many here have, you may want to take a look at the stoma sub-forum to see what other's experiences have been like.

You could also look at the general surgery to find some experiences of reversals if you like.

If you can't find anything useful that way, then you can search the forum for relevant posts using the terms 'colostomy reversal' 'stoma reversal' or 'stoma/colostomy take down'

Could I just ask you, have you actually been given a diagnosis of Crohns now or is it still just a query? If you haven't, have your doctors said anything about testing to find out? i only ask because if you have got Crohns (which it sounds like you might to me) then ideally you need to discuss going onto some maintenance medication to help keep it at bay.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, although we are not always able to give you a concrete answer, we can at least offer you our support and share our experiences with the disease.

Hi Nicola,

Thank you for your message.
I have just been to the stoma clinic and the nurse said that she doesn't think I have Crohn's. It was just a query in my discharge letter.
I will check out the stoma sub forum.

Thanks again x