• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Night Sweating and Crohn's

I am a Crohn's patient/person/survivor for 8 years. I have never been on a forum. I have had flares, but now am in remission. My last colonoscopy was clear! Yea!.....one problem that really bugs me is waking up sweaty. Usually just upper body. Some nights much less or none. Some a lot. It does not seem to matter what I do...do others have this problem? I am also an Adult Nurse Practitioner and have followed patients for almost 30 years. Night sweats can mean LOTS of things..but I would like to see if some of you suffer also You can ask me questions that are pretty medical as I worked for a GI MD for 2 years...

theOcean

I only get night sweats when I get a fever, but it seems like that's obviously not the case here. Otherwise it only really happens for me if I'm too hot or something is off in my environment when I'm trying to sleep.

I know in my case that I'm very sensitive to temperature (particularly heat), and my average temperature is also a bit lower than the norm.

I don't have CD, my son does. I do have autonomic dysfunction along with chronic gastritis, one of these causes night sweats for me. I did some reading and levsin, an anti cholinergenic, staves bodily fluids along with the relaxant effect on smooth muscles. So I spoke with my GI and he px'ed me levsin, I take one before bed and for 3 months now without fail it has stopped the night sweats. Now if I forget to take it before bed then the sweats will appear that night. I only sweat on the upper chest part of my body and around the back of my neck. The GI has said this is sometimes due to chronic gastritis.

My son has night sweats due to his CD but only when flaring and levsin does not seem to help his.

Night sweats used to be a huge issue for me. This was a few years ago. I contributed it to the meds I was on, Predisone. Also at the time of pred I put on about 65 pounds. I had surgery, came off predisone and dropped 80 pounds and no more night sweats. One thing that made it more bearable were these Bamboo sheets my gf bought (it's all we sleep with now). Look up the properties to bamboo sheets, they won't cure it but they might make you a bit more comfortable.

Thank you. I am going to get some Levsin..they had to get a prior auth---you have heard of them..I know a lot about the drug, because of my degrees. It is an anti-cholinergic..slows bowels, drys mouth, dilates pupils and maybe it will help...THANKDS:ycool:

Yeah Levsin is really a "two for one" for me because it stops the night sweats and helps the beta adrenergic imbalance which may be a causal factor in my postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I hope it helps you with the night sweats.

Oh and btw, yeah the dry eyes in the morning is probably my biggest drawback from it. Ughh but better than the night sweats.