• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectal bleeding post bowel movement

Hi all,

I am just starting to get worried... I haven't been ill in months but in the last 2 weeks I have started to bleed after having a bowel movement and it feels like it's tearing on the inside.. My stool consistency has been pretty much the same as always so I am unsure what could be causing it.

Any information or advice would be great!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Blood can be really scary for anyone, especially if the cause isn't clear. It could be that you have small tears inside the rectum which are being irritated when you have a bowel movement, causing it to bleed.

It could also be that you have some information there.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much, while blood is never 'normal ' it isn't always something serious either.

Get in touch with your GI or your IBD nurse and let them know what's happening, hopefully they can help you find a solution quickly :)

theOcean

If you say it feels like tearing, it might just be an anal fissure, which isn't necessarily related to Crohn's. So you can let your GI know, or ask your GP to take a look to confirm that, but it isn't anything too dangerous. Do you know if using vaseline or something before a BM might help? Or temporarily taking a stool softener, though it sounds like your consistency is still pretty normal.