• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Time for a 3rd colonoscopy

So I had an appointment with my GI last night and found out that my latest FCP results have came back at just over 250 yet my bloods are good. I've been approved for another 3 sessions of Infliximab, but he wants to do another colonoscopy. I'm worried about the prep though as the last time I was given Klean Prep and just ended up being sick after every drink. Could anyone recommend a good laxative to take that doesn't taste so horrible?

I feel for you I,m dreading my next one as Houston we have a problem I can,t drink the prep! Last time after the 2nd litre it just popped out the wrong exit but luckily managed enough to go ahead but my body won, t allow it again.i used to drink lager and had a bad experience years ago,now I can put it my mouth but it's physically impossible to swallow the slop it's like my body is saying are you stupid! That stuff,s vile.
There is a way round it they do this method with children the tube thing through your nose into your stomach,still not very nice.i,ve always had moviprep i,d sooner drink cat pee!

Last edited:
Haha same! I'm not sure if they would do that, but I think I'd rather have the tube tbh. I've already asked to be put to sleep for the procedure as I find them so painful even with sedation, but my consultant couldn't guarantee I would get it.

Also off subject, but just seen you're from Coatbridge which is only 5 miles from my work!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Amanda89, have you ever done Picolax to prep? It just came to the US recently (it's called Prepopik here but it's the same exact thing), and I did it for my last prep back in August. You only have to drink 2 little cups of prep itself, then you drink something like 64 ounces of whatever other clear fluids you choose so that you stay hydrated. The little cups of prep were super easy to drink and actually tasted okay. I will say, it made me super nauseous (most preps do that to me though) - however, I had some Zofran on hand which worked for the nausea and I managed to not vomit. So anyway, long story short, I would recommend Picolax but I also recommend that you have some anti-nausea medication on hand just in case it makes you nauseous too (some people do fine with it and don't experience any nausea). Overall, it was really easy to drink, far far easier than a huge jug of nasty stuff! Good luck, I hope whatever prep you end up with, that it goes as smoothly as prep can go.

You little star, I had picolax with my 1st colonoscopy and had no problems with it, but I'd completely forgot the name of it, thank you! I'll ask if I can have that again :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
How much do preps cost in the UK? Here in the US, with insurance I paid something like $20 or $30 for Prepopik (Picolax). I think it would have been about $100 without insurance. Still, knowing it was just 2 little cups, I was happy to pay that amount for it. I had to buy sports drinks, lemonade, etc as my clear fluids too, so in total I probably spent close to $50 for prep supplies. Not cheap but not terrible either. I would way rather pay a bit extra for a prep like that, than get a cheap but horrible prep where you drink gallons of icky stuff.

I'm not too sure, I usually have mine posted out by the hospital, but if I could find Picolax in the shops or pharmacy then I'm going to buy it to ensure I'm happy with what I'm taking.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh that's right, you guys can buy Picolax right off the shelf over there, no prescription needed. Here in the US it's prescription-only, and since it's quite new to the US (it just received approval here maybe a year or two ago), most doctors and pharmacies don't even know about it. My GI hadn't heard of Picolax/Prepopik until I specifically asked for it, and my pharmacy had to special-order it in because they don't normally carry it (and I go to a major chain pharmacy that carries almost everything). So I'm jealous that you can just go buy Picolax without a prescription! It's hard to get ahold of in the US and it's a little bit expensive too and you need a prescription for it.