• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Journeys in Prednizone - SIDE EFFECTS

So, after being diagnosed with Crohn's and discharged from the hospital, I am now on my third day of prednizone medication. They are planning to have me on it for about a month, and slowly taper off. The meds seem to be taking effect, hurrah! :) as my stomach cramps have greatly receded, and my BMs are getting more normal slowly! (type 5 rather than type 7, thank goodness)

Am still on a bland diet of mash potato, banana smoothies, and canned soups. I am also slowly introducing more solid food, like today I had half of a can of tuna in oil.

I haven't had any side effects from the meds yet except for the hUNGER GODDAMN this stuff makes me hungry.... I just wanna eat a big huge subway sandwich. Mmmmm...

My concern is, will the side effects begin to kick in in a week? 2 weeks? Not at all?

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello! Welcome to the forum
Its great that you are starting to feel better, I can imagine how great that feels!
Everyone reacts to prednisone differently, some side effects happen right away for some and for others it takes a while.
Although prednisone does wonders in terms of our guts, the side effects can be pretty rough. It would be a good thing to be aware of the various side effects and know when to call your doctor. It is also very important to not discontinue it abrubptly as it can lead to a severe adverse reaction.
Take a look at this link! http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=17707
As I am sure you have gathered, Crohn's is different to everyone . I can eat bacon just fine but there are some people that can't handle pork at all. The above thread contains a list of common good/bad foods that has been complied over the last few years
I hope you find that the forum is a wonderful place full of knowledge and support, dont' ever be afraid to ask questions, there are some really knowledgeable people on here. I hope you continue on your path to feeling better!

Afidz said it well. Everyone reacts in their own way. My kid was hungry ALL THE TIME which just made things worse for her trying to find the right foods.

Other side effects can take a few months to show like moon face. Afidz is right, don't stop taking prednisone abruptly. Taper properly or you will have issues. My kid was on prednisone for 1.5 years and it took us almost 3 months to taper. She had no issues with the taper because she did it so slow.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there. Your questions have been addressed well, I just wanted to chime in and welcome you :)

Please keep us updated on how you're doing and let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

All my best to you.