• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5.5 weeks post right-hemicolectomy ... and confused!

Hi all ... I'm pleased to have found this forum, having found my post-op care lacking in 'care'.

That said, I'm a bit of a gate-crasher. My right-hemicolectomy - performed as emergency surgery 5.5 weeks ago - was not for Crohn's or the other conditions listed here, but rather after a (rare) right-colon diverticuli had become infected and abscessed. It had presented as appendicitis, but some eagle-eyed surgeons at Addenbrookes in Cambridge identified it and, after trying to control it with ABs for two days, decided to cut it out.

I've yet to receive my histology report, but I think it was a 'straightforward' procedure, with the whole right-colon extracted and the 'usual' sort of resection made into the right-side of the transverse colon.

I had a shocking few days immediately post-op, having reacted badly to the anaesthesia and then the pain (not sure what I was expecting, mind!). But I've been recovering reasonably well thereafter, with just a couple of readmissions to check the cause of some rectal bleeding (8 days post-op) and then again to check some greater than usual pain at the resection site (3 weeks post-op).

I'm now reassured by my GP that the 'stitch' like feeling I get sometimes in various parts of they colon area are normal for a while after surgery of this type; that it will take a while for my bowel movements to resume their pre-op patterns (they're nearly there!); and that the small amount of bright-red rectal bleed (tissue only) is due to a small tear rather than the colon falling apart!

But I still worry.

And I guess that's my main reason for looking for support groups and posting here ... is my worry about these gripes, grumbles, aches, pains, twinges, changes, etc, misplaced? Are they usual 5.5 weeks after a right hemi-colectomy? How long do they last? Does it all sound familiar to people who've had this type of treatment, even if it was for different causes?

I'm also frustrated by the fact that the wound opened up after the staples were taken out (2 weeks post-op), and that it's still not fully healed by secondary intention. Although a few of the tales here about months of infection and healing kind of put me in my place about that one!!!

I'd be interested to hear back from people, just for the sake of my sanity of nothing else.

FYI - I'm a 42 year-old, caucasian (thus the rarity of my right-side diverticuliti), professional, and otherwise healthy dad of two kids, with an incredibly supportive wife, family and network of friends. I also have a reputation as being a crazily optimistic and happy chappy, so all this worry and negativity even when I am evidently on the mend is most odd!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi there

What you are describing seems pretty normal to me, remember that you have had major surgery, its a big shock to the system, since it was an emergency I'm assuming you had open surgery not key hole?

Either way, it is normal to have discomfort for some time after, you wouldn't believe how much they have to pull your insides about during surgery, they get pretty battered and its common to have internal bruising.

Also, the muscles and nerves in your abdomen will be knitting back together, which will also cause pain as the feeling begins to come back in the nerves that were cut.

Its also totally normal to have problems with bowel movements this far along, some of us here can only dream of being almost back to normal after 5 months, so 5.5 weeks is actually really good, so don't worry about that.

Just remember to keep the wound as clean as you can, don't do any heavy lifting yet and don't over work yourself.

Hey there Benny and a big welcome to the forum. I'd second what Valleysangel says. My surgery was laproscopic and went smoothly, but I was quite surprised how long it took to feel back to some sort of normality. I had major non-Crohn's related surgery when I was in my twenties and got over it much quicker. Maybe I'm just getting old!
I needed to take painkillers for probably about four weeks post op and it took probably til the 8 week mark to feel quite me again. TBH I have more issues with loose stools now than I did pre- surgery, but can control it mainly with diet.