• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare up

So, I started having cramps earlier in the week, Wednesday night went to emerg, just to make sure nothing too bad was going on. Just a minor flare. I'm on prednisone for a few weeks. How long does it take to kick in? My knees are feeling a little swollen aswell. This usually happens to me in a flare, but it's been awhile since I've taken prednisone. Right now I'm on 35 mg? I think it's 7 pills, tapering off one pill per week.

nogutsnoglory

Everyone is different but it's pretty fast acting and hopefully since it's a minor flare in a few days you will begin feeling better.

theOcean

Agreed with NGNG: prednisone usually kicks in pretty quickly. It should also help with the aching in your knees, since those arthritis-like symptoms are usually from Crohn's.

And they're usually 5mg pills, so 35mg sounds right if you're on seven of them. Good luck and I hope they help!

I am feeling better tonight. It's just so frustrating, I haven't been to the hospital in 4 years and was on such a good role. Oh well, on to recovery! Trying to keep a positive mind.

I also have anxiety issues, health anxiety at times, so this becomes even more challenging for me.

theOcean

I can understand, yes. I deal with anxiety problems as well and take medication for it. That's good you're trying to keep a positive outlook though! I'm sure you'll be back to good health soon. :)

My gp won't give meds for anxiety. I have been trying to manage it naturally, but I'm not sure how well that's working.

theOcean

That was my strategy for awhile, and I still intend to go back to being off of medication for it. I just felt I needed it temporarily because I was having such high stress at the time.

I actually see a psychiatrist regularly, which has really helped me. I started seeing her just before my Crohn's diagnosis, in fact. :p Because she has medical training (as opposed to just a therapist) it's really nice because she'll understand when I talk about my Crohn's and my medications, too. Maybe that's something you could look into getting a referral for? I know at least for me, it's been one of the healthiest decisions I've ever made for myself.

I saw a psychiatrist for awhile and felt like it helped, but then her practice moved and it's not near me. Then I saw a social worker and I didn't find her as helpful.

theOcean

Aw, that's a shame. :( I would recommend mine since I adore her but I don't think she's taking new patients (and I'm also not sure if you're in Toronto, which would be important). Are you able to ask your GP for another referral?