• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I guess it's Crohn's

My story:

I started having GI symptoms about 8 months ago (symptoms that were bad enough for me to finally acknowledge), and the pain was becoming progressively worse & more frequent. I saw a GP finally around Christmas time. He listened to my symptoms, poked on my belly for a minute, diagnosed me with IBS, gave me a prescription for Bentyl & sent me on my way. At that point in time, the pain was so bad that I was diaphoretic, and the location was more indicative of gall bladder issues. A few weeks later, I was in the ER with RUQ pain & epigastric pain that was bad enough to frighten me. Nothing was found in my lab work & they ordered an ultraound of the gall bladder. I saw a new GP shortly after that (having sense enough to know that the previous doctor was an idiot), and I was ordered a few more tests to rule out gall bladder disease. The GP said that if my tests came back negative she would immediately refer me to a GI physician.

Of course, the tests were negative, and I started seeing the GI doc at the end of January. The GI doctor ordered some labs & CT scans & scheduled me for an upper GI. This test revealed GERD, esophagitis, and erosive gastritis. I was started on Nexium & told to follow up in 6 weeks. Before the 6 weeks was up, my lower GI problems had worsened. The D had become so severe, and the pain had increased to the point that I could no longer eat solid food. After a few weeks of popsicles and jello, the doc was able to get me in for a colonoscopy. This showed inflammation in the terminal illeum. She ordered a small bowel follow through, which confirmed the inflammation of the illeum.

I was initially started on Entocort and had almost immediate relief of the D, but I had an allergic reaction to it & had to stop taking it. Then, I was started on Pentasa.

Since being on Pentasa, I am able to eat solid food again (I guess I should view this as an improvement). My diet is very limited right now: I basically live off of carbohydrates and vitamin supplements. I cannot eat vegetables, most fruits, red meat, or large amounts of any meat (without a worsening of symptoms). I am still having symptoms such as D and pain. Some days it feels as though an ice pick is stabbing me in various places throughout the abdomen. The fatigue has been pretty bad as well.

My GI recently ordered a blood test to look for active disease. She is considering starting Remicade, since I am still having symptoms. The blood test was negative (not sure what this means for me...wrong diagnosis or continuation of symptoms despite inactive disease). Now I am waiting for her to decide if she wants to proceed with a pill cam test or keep me on the Pentasa that is not effective at treating my symptoms. I have been very frustrated with this situation. I want to feel better and have my life back, but it doesn't seem to be an urgent issue for the doctor. I just sit here praying for things to improve. I am starting to come to the realization that this could be my life from this point forward, considering I have been diagnosed with a chronic illness. I wait patiently for answers and results. I am very thankful that this was caught fairly early, but I am unsure of what to expect in the future.

Thanks for reading my story. Sorry it is so long. Obviously I have kept this business to myself for quite some time.

Hello Nik. I just recently became a member of this forum and it has really helped me to "get some things off of my chest". I don't wish this illness on anyone, but it is nice to know that there is someone who knows what I am going through.

I also never realized that this is going to be my normal, but I learned to accept it and do my best to manage the symptoms. My doctor just decided that Remicade is the best option for me right now and I will have my first infusion on Monday.

If Pentasa is not treating your symptoms, I hope the GI will get you something else that will (other than Entocort!). So, they know you have CD, so why are they doing a pill cam? To see if it is active or something?

I hope your prayers are answered and things work out well for you. Welcome to the forum!

Diva

Thanks for the reply. It is good to know that there are others out there who are going through something similar to what I am.

I think the pill cam test is to see if I have active disease. I am not sure how accurate the blood tests are in determining active disease, so I do not know if this test is more accurate or just a waste of time and money. Maybe it will differentiate whether I have Crohn's or something else. My doctor is not very good at explaining her reasoning to me.

Hello Nik and welcome to the forum! Sorry :( to hear you have been through so much these past months, I hope you can find a 'normal' you are happier with than what you have now. I am at a point where I haven't been diagnosed fully either, bits of my story are around, and so I definitely can understand your frustrations of not wanting everyday to be painful and wanting your life back. Something I have learned here is that CD is very illusive and blood tests can come back normal even when someone is in severe pain and flaring. But take care and keep us posted on how things are going for you.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hey Nik,

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. You will however, find many of us here who have been through similar remit of tests etc and will also find that there will always be some tests to keep track of things if it definately is crohns (have to say it does sound that way honey).

There is a remicade club in the treatment section you could have a look at. I have been on it over 2years now and it has made a huge difference to my life. I have other issues though that seem to trigger my crohns or it triggers them so am currently fighting for more balance.

Hang in there. Keep asking your GI questions, dont be afraid to tell them you arent happy or are frustrated so they are aware and can help more and you can also have input into the care they plan for you!

Keep asking here, keep posting, whether you have a good or bad day you will always find several of us around to rebound off even if we dont get to answer you immediately or as soon as you would like ok?

Thinking of you ((hugs))

Hello, I have the Crohns in the same spot as you. My terminal illeum was so inflammed that it showed up on the CT scan. When mine started I had some D but the worst part for me has been the very bad pain in my right side. And joint pain. Entocort didn't work for me. So my doctor put me on Predesione. This med helps me alot. I have read that it has bad side affects but I havent had any but some sleepless nights. Maybe you could try Predesione. It's cheap and it works.

Last edited: