• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cramps & Exercise

For the past few months..at least once or twice a month I get this worst cramp pain around stomach and abdominal which the pain comes and hit every 30 secs in 3 minutes and its for the whole day....I would not be able to even stand or do anything as the pain kills me...Have anyone gone thru the same? I seriously don't know why and my doctor also don't know why. Just 2 days ago, I had the pain sudddenly from morning, and it caused me constipation for a day and I could not even do ormove from my seat as the pain pulls....do share if anyone has gone thru...

Next, I would like to buy a tread mill to do exercise at home...I can't go out for walks as I go frequent to the toilets and therefore would like to start from home. My parents are discouraging me as they are worried I would lose weight more as now itself I am underweight....But, i feel by using/starting with a treadmill, I might get better and feelmore energetic....
Currently, I have cramps and body pains so often that I am in totally depression with my sickness....Parents are not supportive enough and I am so down....Hope to have a good start again with this....

Any advise from you guys will help me go thru....Thanks...

theOcean

I definitely got terrible cramps to the point where I had to be put on hydromorphone for them. They were so bad I could almost cry. Is the pain you're experiencing constant? Or does it happen multiple times a day?

I think getting a treadmill is a good idea -- exercising is always good for you. But I do understand your parents' concern that you don't want to lose more weight than you have.

Are you on any medication to treat your symptoms?

I agree with 4peace, it sounds like a partial obstruction. I interpret the "every 30 seconds" as evidence of waves of pain, which is very similar to mine when I was obstructing. I believe it is caused by peristalsis pushing bowel contents into the blockage - it for me was an extremely sharp pain that I can only imagine feels like being knifed. Do you have bloating at the same time? Vomiting and nausea?

I think if you can tolerate exercise, it is a good idea. Keep in mind that it generally makes bowels move a little more, so you could end up with more pain as well. If you have the opportunity, get it checked out by your doctor.

I definitely got terrible cramps to the point where I had to be put on hydromorphone for them. They were so bad I could almost cry. Is the pain you're experiencing constant? Or does it happen multiple times a day?

I think getting a treadmill is a good idea -- exercising is always good for you. But I do understand your parents' concern that you don't want to lose more weight than you have.

Are you on any medication to treat your symptoms?
Hi...the pain is constant maybe for the 1 day or 2 days in a month....Yes, I am on medication such as prednisolone 15mg/day, Salofalk 1g/bd, Calcium tabs and thats all. I have stopped taking metheotrexate as I can't bear it and I have lost hope in medicines...Currently, I am trying to find alternatives for my health and so on....

The cramps sound like a partial obstruction. Do they come in waves? Do you have strictures?
Yup, the pain comes in waves...And I do have strictures in my small colon...But what I don't understand is why does the pain attacks once or twice a month? Is it due to my food?

I agree with 4peace, it sounds like a partial obstruction. I interpret the "every 30 seconds" as evidence of waves of pain, which is very similar to mine when I was obstructing. I believe it is caused by peristalsis pushing bowel contents into the blockage - it for me was an extremely sharp pain that I can only imagine feels like being knifed. Do you have bloating at the same time? Vomiting and nausea?

I think if you can tolerate exercise, it is a good idea. Keep in mind that it generally makes bowels move a little more, so you could end up with more pain as well. If you have the opportunity, get it checked out by your doctor.
I agree with you...the pain feels like being knifed....Sometimes i really feel like taking a real knife and poke myself as the pain is unbearable....I do hv bloating and nausea the same time...The last it attacked me when I was in a meeting and I could not concentrate and hv to come out of it to hide myself in my office to cry for the pain....Its really causing depression in me...
I really hope by doing the treadmill, i hope to have some changes or improvemnets in myself...

theOcean

As far as treatment goes, it sounds like you need to go to the hospital and get this checked out, unfortunately. :( An obstruction can be really dangerous and you don't want it to get worse if that's what you have.

For future medications, is it possible to go on a biologic like Remicade or Humira?

I agree with theOcean: sounds like partial obstructions which could easily become full obstruction. Stay AWAY from raw foods, seeds, nuts, dried fruits etc. I have a stricture and inflammation causing partials often so I have to avoid ALL of the above foods. Let us know what your DR. says, but please do get care at the ER if the pain comes back or persists!

Wish I could offer another solution, but this sounds like strictures and partial obstructions. Definitely needs follow up. I would say to exercise when able. The better shape you are in, the better your healing process will be.