• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going back to work

Diagnosed at age 55 but probably had this longer. I was losing weight without trying but blamed it on my stressful job at the time. When I quit, I thought being retired would solve all my problems! But of course, that was not the case. I ended up with c-diff and in the hospital for 8 days.

I am currently taking mesalamine, which seems to be helping, but I sometimes need to take Immodium too!

I've been unemployed for three years but will be going back to work full time in two weeks. I am stressed about the unpredictable nature of my symptoms and being in a communal bathroom. Any suggestions about dealing with this in an office environment would be greatly appreciated!

If you are comfortable and have a good relationship with your manager consider mentioning at the very least that you have a medical condition. Stress that you are a hard worker and despite the fact you may need a couple extra breaks you will work hard to get everything done to the highest quality.

Best of luck!

Hi Graylady - go to dol.gov - then to Employer's Responsibilities on the right side of the page. Not sure what you are diagnosed with but the American's with Disabilities Act covers many different diseases i.e. Crohn's. You can request a desk closer to the rest rooms, etc. There is a lot of information on the site.

Good Luck!!

Jessi

Welcome to the forum graylady. :hug:

Going back to work can be very stressful with IBD, but it is totally doable. I have found that, although embarrassing, it is best to be honest and up-front about your bathroom needs. People are generally willing to let you into the stall before themselves if you need it. Is it possible to be working close to the restrooms? Also it's a great idea to always have a change of clothes, just in case you have a rough day.

Congratulations on getting a job. I hope it goes well for you.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I don't really have any experience of working with crohns as I have been unemployed since my diagnosis, but I wanted to let you know I'm happy that you feel you are well enough to go back :).

Just remember not to sweat the small stuff, if people comment or judge then they probably aren't very nice people so its their loss not yours. I would make sure your employer understands the situation that your in (tell them what you are comfortable with) maybe by showing them websites that explain crohns or something like that.

I tend to handle work by being very careful what I eat. I keep it low residue for the days I work. I know how stressful it is, I have mapped out every single toilet on my way to work. I am so glad you are going back to work, for me work is the best therapy. Hope it goes well