• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here...

Hi... I'm Tabitha (23), mom to Cole (2) & Kelsey (8 months). I've been waiting for my activation here for 2 weeks, so I'm glad I can finally join everyone!

I've been dealing with LUQ pain since I delievered my son in 2007. Everyone brushed me off, and I learned to deal with the pain. Since then, I delievered another baby in 2008 and the pain was still there. Some days it's worse than others, some it is barely there... but it's constant. After a bought of horrible abdomen pain/cramps and bloody diarrhea, I finally convinced my PCP that it wasn't just gas being caught in my 'splenic flexure' as he likes to say...

I'm scheduled for my first colonoscopy July 24th -- and I'm very, very READY. I'm just looking for a diagnosis, ready to close the chapter of not knowing.

I was asked by my PCP if I have anyone in my family with Crohns or UC -- my little brother was diagnosed with both at the age of 14. He told me you can't have both (which I find hard to believe, as my brother is proof that you can have both).

Every symptom I've had over the past 2 years, are the exact symptoms my brother experiences during a flare up, and during the time before he was diagnosed. I have no doubt in my mind that it isn't just "gas" and I also do not believe that I have to live feeling as if nothing is wrong with me.

I look forward to talking with you all as I start my journey... any tips, advice would be wonderful. I'm looking into diets, and don't really know where to start.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You'll find that a lot of us have been brushed off by doctors and it's taken some years to be diagnosed properly. I'm in the process of being diagnosed myself -- so far I've been told my right lower quadrant pain is Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, an ovarian cyst, IBS and insinuated it's "all in my head" or "stress" (gynecological stuff has been ruled out via ultrasound). Don't hesitate to ask any questions as this is an awesome forum with a lot of smarties. :)

Welcome to the forum Tabitha. I hope your colonoscopy will give you a diagnosis so that you can start getting the treatment you need!

vshirey317 said:
Welcome to the forum. You'll find that a lot of us have been brushed off by doctors and it's taken some years to be diagnosed properly. I'm in the process of being diagnosed myself -- so far I've been told my right lower quadrant pain is Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, an ovarian cyst, IBS and insinuated it's "all in my head" or "stress" (gynecological stuff has been ruled out via ultrasound). Don't hesitate to ask any questions as this is an awesome forum with a lot of smarties. :)

Sounds like we're in the same boat... I suffer from ovarian cysts monthly -- had several surgically removed and have other gynecological issues as well... but this isn't the same. They keep telling me PID & stress. Glad I'm not the only one.

Good luck to you, hun!

tabbyg said:
Sounds like we're in the same boat... I suffer from ovarian cysts monthly -- had several surgically removed and have other gynecological issues as well... but this isn't the same. They keep telling me PID & stress. Glad I'm not the only one.

Good luck to you, hun!
They told you PID, too? Jeez. My OBGYN told me PID is code for "I don't know what it is" a lot and I believe him. Even the cultures came back negative for PID and the ER doctor STILL gave me the diagnosis (I could tell he was reluctant). It's very uncommon for a woman who has tested negative for STD's to be diagnosed with it because, generally speaking, it's an infection that developes from an STD.

Good luck to you, too! I have three children myself, so I know how stressful the diagnosing process can be when having little ones to tend to. Is your pain only in the upper part or have you had any lower pain as well?

Welcome tabbyg! I'm undiagnosed as well but working on getting some answers :). There is LOTS of info, thoughts, questions here and even places for venting, take care and keep us posted on how everything is going for you.

I've had endometriosis, appendicitis, AIP, ovarian cysts, all thrown at me as potential diagnoses as well, stick with it! We understand your plight. Good luck!

J

JillianB82

Welcome to the forum! Colonoscopies are not fun at all, but at least you will have an answer one way or the other. :) Keep us posted!