• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reading? (regarding anxiety)

Hi Everyone,
I have read on here that quite a few also suffer from anxiety. Which I do aswell. Has anyone read any books that they found helpful with dealing with anxiety? I seem to go in cycles with general anxiety and health anxiety. I would love to find a good book to help.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder a few years back and have gone through both individual cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy and exercises to manage it. Challenging your thoughts and finding coping strategies is what helps you overcome anxiety. With anxiety not only understanding but talking it out and doing exercises alongside is the best way to tackle it. But it's also important to find what specifically works to calm your mind down as we are all triggered by sometimes different things.

A Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Workbook by Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein is my bible for calming anxiety. http://www.amazon.com/A-Mindfulness...e+mindfulness+based+stress+reduction+workbook

Not so much for the book but for the mp3 meditation recordings that come with it to help you relax both the mind and the body. I keep them on my computer and iPod and they help me get through the day whether at home, at work or out and about. The recording times range from 5min to 45 minutes and focus on everything from breathing exercises, to body scans and even loving/kindness and anxiety.

I'd also recommend looking into anything related to Jon Kabat-Zinn who is considered a father of research for mindfulness based stress reduction therapy here in the western part of the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn