• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisolone and blood glucose

I've now been on pred for two weeks and am tapering down but have noticed symptoms that indicate increasingly high blood glucose over the last few days (very frequent urination, constant thirst, tiredness, blurred vision). I got a fasted blood test in the morning but wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and if it's something that goes away as you get down to a lower dose?

theOcean

I haven't experienced that, no. It does make me worry about your iron or B12 levels though. I was going to ask if you were tested recently, but I guess you're still waiting for the results.

I was last tested a month ago and iron and B were fine although D was very low. They're testing them all again tomorrow though so I'll know on Monday

D is so important to those of us with Crohn's. I know you are waiting on blood work, and that makes me ancy wondering. No experience here on your symptoms with a taper of prednisone, but it seems something else is at play. Keep jotting down your symptoms and discuss Monday. It sounds to me like a vitamin issue so make sure you are taking your multivitamin if you can.

Catherine

Do you have diabetes,? prednisone can make glucose levels harder to control. You need to contact gp.

Had my blood tested again this morning and I'm still d deficient, also now flaring again so they've bumped my pred dose back up. Thankfully not diabetic but blood glucose is being kept an eye on