• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Itchy scabs on scalp/arms, Remicade

Hello,
I have Crohn's disease and have been on Remicade since December 2013. I have developed itchy bumps which have turned into blisters, scabs and red scaly marks on my scalp and arms. Some of it looks like eczema, but I am 56 and have never had eczema in my life. I called my GI doctor, who told me to call my primary care physician. I saw my PCP on Friday and he prescribed Cephalexin and took some blood. The antibiotic hasn't helped at all. I don't have a dermatologist, and to see one I would have to wait weeks for an appoinment as a new patient.
Has this happened to any of you, and if so, was there a treatment that worked? The itching is driving me mad.

Thanks.

theOcean

Remicade can cause eczema or psoriasis, so even if you don't have a history of it, that doesn't mean you can't have it now. I got really bad eczema while I was still on Remicade.

Ask for pre-meds like steroids and antihistamines at your next infusion, and maybe call your GI and request an antibody test as well to see if that's a potential reaction to the Remicade.

theOcean

For the eczema itself: if it's bad and turned into weeping eczema, you likely need hydrocortisone creams and you're probably better off in the hands of a dermatologist. If it's still at the scabby/itchy stage, you can probably treat it with applying good moisturizers multiple times a day or using tea tree oil on it. Avoid hot water and soap as this aggravates it, as well as touching it or using any rough materials (towels) on it.