• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flexible sigmoidoscopy & cystoscopy

I had a CT scan a month ago which showed no inflammation but 3 small strictures in my small bowel. Next week I am having a flexible sigmoidoscopy and cystoscopy. The cystoscopy is to make sure that there aren't problems with my kidneys as I am having severe pain. The pain is right sided, not cramps but a dull penetrating ache. I am pretty sure that it is the strictures. I have to have a fleet enema at hospital, what is it like? And I know that usually sedation is not offered for sigmoidoscopy but I am so sore and he might try to dilate the strictures that I can't cope with the thought go having it without sedation. Any experiences will be great.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I'm sorry no one has got back to you yet.. I don't have experience with the testing that you'll be having, but I have had fleet enemas before. I had to have them before my surgery last year, and I was really nervous about having them but honestly it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It feels a little uncomfortable and weird but its over in less than a minute. I did get some cramping from the laxative working on my intestines, but nothing worse than what you get from oral preps. Honestly, I'd take the enemas over the gallons of oral prep any day!

If you are worried then talk to your GI about the possibility of a little sedation, even if its just enough to relax you a little. If it gets too painful at any point make sure that you let them know so they can try and help you or stop the procedure. Please let us know how you get on.

Yes, probably an enema is better and at least I get it done at the hospital, which saves being worried about toilets on my way to hospital. I travel on public transport and it takes about 2 hours. I am know I am overly anxious but dilation has been very painful in the past even under the maximum sedation we get in the UK. Thanks for replying

valleysangel92

Staff member
Yeah I remember my colonoscopy being painful, even with sedation and pain meds.. Hopefully though your GI will be aware of your past issues and they'll do everything they can to make it more comfortable for you this time.

I did 1 fleet enema at home an hour before my flex sig and had no worries about leaks on my way to the hospital. When I called to confirm my appt I asked about sedation, the assistant said it wasn't usually done but if I wanted it they were willing. I said yes and was sedated, making it a breeze. The only thing is apparently I talked with my doc about the results after which I have no recollection of. Then all of a sudden he was calling to confirm going on remicade, which we apparently talked about, lol.

I am not sure what is happening about the cystoscopy but I have my flexible sigmoidoscopy this Wednesday. Relieved that there is no prep as I have terrible diarrhoea at the moment and just an enema at the hospital. They offer either sedation YAY or gas and air, so I will be going for the former. I had some sort of camera up my rear a while back when I was hoping to have an artificial sphincter, and it was horribly painful and they offered to stop but I managed. I wish I was braver :(

Just got an email from my IBD nurse to say that the cystoscopy was a typing error, so at least it will be only one thing going up where the sun doesn't shine.