• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Normal MRI, confused?

Hello.

Today I had an MRI and got the results back, although everything was normal aside from bowel thickening in my sigmoid colon. When I had my colonoscopy last year and my pillcam, I had visible inflammation and ulcers in my cecum and small intestine. The biopsies were consistent with Crohn's disease. I'm currently on entocort- does this mean I'm in remission? I've still been having symptoms, and I think the enema beforehand could have irritated my sigmoid colon, because I didn't have any inflammation there before. Or is it possible I don't have Crohn's? I'm just so confused. :(

theOcean

It may mean that you're in remission, though the fact that you're still getting symptoms right now despite that make me think otherwise. I think a colonoscopy would be best for determining that. What symptoms are you experiencing?

Well I'm thinking most of my symptoms are from Gastroparesis, although I've been having some pretty bad pains in my abdomen lately. I know entocort only reaches the first part of your large intestine and a certain area of your small intestine. But when this all started, I had pains in my left side, exactly where my sigmoid colon was. Perhaps I've had really minimal inflammation in that area since the beginning? It's just odd. I most likely could be in remission. Unless it's possible to have positive biopsies and not have Crohn's? This disease is so weird to me...it's making me question my diagnosis.

theOcean

It's difficult to navigate because it manifests so differently for everyone as well... some people have Crohn's but don't have any visible symptoms at all.

I think if you're questioning things it might be a good idea for a colonoscopy. But if you are in remission: I recently got a colonoscopy and my GI said it didn't look like I had IBD at all because I've healed so well. I still do, of course. It's just not visible right now.