• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joints seem to be going wonky...

My hips have been aching for a couple of weeks now. And suddenly my right knee doesn't want to work right all of the time. Sometimes it's locking up, other times it just really hurts when bending "like climbing/decending stairs". Going to the doctor today, so I will talk to him about it. But wondering if this could be related to my issues. Still undiagnosed.....

I have heard a lot of people say joint pain is an EI manifestation of their ibd so it could be related. I have sporadic joint pain, mostly in the knees and ankles personally.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Yes, joint pain can certainly be a part of IBD for many people. For some, it is linked heavily with IBD flares and will come and go with gastro symptoms. For others, it flares up on its own with no apparent correlation to IBD flares.

People with IBD also have a slightly higher risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis as having one immune/inflammatory disease increases the risk of having another .

There are of course other types of arthritis and joint disorders that you could be suffering from.

Have you had your vitamin and mineral levels checked lately? You could have vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, anaemia, a calcium deficiency or even too much calcium, as well as a few other mineral deficiencies that can affect the joints.

I had vitamin levels checked a couple months ago and they were fine. Just had bloodwork done on Monday to check again and to check my CRP and iron as well. Haven't heard back on that one yet