• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Risk for Skin Cancer From IBD, Thiopurines May Warrant Development of Prevetion Guidelines

http://www.gastroendonews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=In%2Bthe%2BNews&d_id=187&i=May+2014&i_id=1059&a_id=27434

The body of evidence linking inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and its treatments with an increased risk for nonmelanoma skin cancer is sufficient to support more rigorous prevention efforts, according to a recent review of the data. Although some but not all therapies for IBD are associated with an exacerbation of risk, IBD alone poses an increased likelihood for developing skin cancer and warrants a more aggressive approach toward prophylaxis.

The study didn't specify what the efforts would be. All I can think of is avoiding the sun, higher SPF, clothes protecting you from the sun.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I was just about to post this. Good thing I checked first. I'm interested to see what "guidelines" they develop if any.