• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tar colored stool that smells like dirt.

I hope this is the right forum.

Anyway, I had a colon and endoscopy last month and I was told I looked perfect/in remission but the last few weeks my stool has been sticky, black/tar colored and smells like dirt/mud. My stomach does ache and does even more when I make a BM. I am also (sorry men) having abnormal vaginal bleeding (I am on the birth control that only gives me my period once every four months). My breasts sometime hurt too. I am definitely not pregnant.

I'm more concerned with the stool than the other symptoms (I could have possibly missed one of my bc pills earlier). Has anybody experienced this? I do know black stool could mean blood but sticky and smelling like mud/dirt?

I did call my GI at the Newton office and the receptionist said he was at his Boston office and was booked so call to see the covering doctor (Boston office). She said my symptoms sounded urgent. I called and left a message.

But again, has anybody experience black, sticky, dirt/mud-smelling stool?

theOcean

Try looking up melena, because that's the main thing I associate with tarry stools. There's an additional link about it here which says it's usually a sign of gastrointestinal hemorrhage...

The abnormal vaginal bleeding may just be from trauma/flare. When I'm under a lot of stress or really sick I get irregular periods.

I agree with Ocean - didn't know the exact name for it before, but it is similar to what I had when I was actively bleeding. Any changes in lifestyle lately? Regular sleep patterns, diet, stress levels? The body can react to a lot of things. Hopefully you can locate it quickly.

but the last few weeks my stool has been sticky, black/tar colored and smells like dirt/mud.
Are you on or have you recently started taking iron supplements? I have black stools every time I'm on them, so if you're also taking them, it could be one explanation.