• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed

Hi. My name is Becky, and I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2007 after being really sick and losing 100lbs in 3 months. I had severe diarrhea, dehydration, fatigue, and right sided abdominal pain. I continued to suffer with bouts of diarrhea and right side pain for years. In 2013, armed with insurance and husband who basically dragged me to the doctor, I went to the doctor for my diabetes and was sent to a GYN for a much overdue check up. The GYN decided that with all the pain I was having, along with other issues I needed a hysterectomy. The right side pain lessened greatly after the surgery. With in 3 months though it came back. My GP and GYN said that it was all from the surgery. They said I was healing fine and to not worry. Fast forward a year, I am back at the doctor's office again with pain so bad in my right side I have trouble working, or exercising. I had no appetite, major fatigue, and pain. GP gave me antibiotics and sent me home for a few days. Back to the GYN to make sure nothing changed from last year, and he referred me to a surgeon for a colonoscopy. In the mean time I was scheduled to return to my GP. He scheduled an upper GI with small bowel follow thru for 3 days after the colonoscopy. I go for the colonoscopy and they find ulcers in my terminal ileum with inflammation. Diagnosis possible IBD/Crohn's Disease. Finally pain meds were offered. Not that they did much good. An appointment with the GI was set up, and I was up for the Upper GI. The day after the upper GI, I went to see the GI. There was a narrowing in my terminal ileum, but nothing major. My diagnosis official is Crohn's Ileitis. Doctor gave me budesonide and pentasa and told me to come back in 2 weeks. 2 days later the pain was so bad i could barely walk. I called the GI who was off for Memorial Day till Tuesday and there was no way for me to get in touch with him. I called my GP and went to see him. My GP gave me prednisone and told me to come back on Tuesday. I went to GP again still in severe pain and he ups my prednisone. My GP called the next morning said my white blood count was elevated, and that the prednisone should work quickly.

I am on Glimepiride 4mg for my diabetes. I have insulin for when my blood sugar goes up because of the prednisone. I am on Prednisone 60 mg, Budesonide 9mg, and Pentasa 4000mg for Crohn's Disease. After reading many forums I realize my case is very mild compared to most. I feel I have no right to complain because so many others are really suffering.

I find balancing a diabetic diet and crohn's diet to be difficult. Throw prednisone in the mix and all I want to do is eat high carb, lots of sugar foods. I am obese. I have fought weight problems for years. I wonder if I have fought with the symptoms of Crohn's for years.

I was running all the time, exercising, eating right after my hysterectomy. I ran my first ever 5k then 2 more 5ks and 2 10ks. I was in love with running. I was still over 215lbs at the time but I loved life. I could move and breathe and run. Just after my first 10k and just before my second 10k I started getting really tired really easy. My normal 9 mile Saturday run I just couldn't seem to finish any more. I got uncontrollably hungry. My blood sugar went crazy, and for the first time in years my bms were almost normal still 5 to 6 times a day but no diarrhea. I didn't know what to do. I was happy but so tired. Then in Apirl the pain came back. I thought I my have appendicitis. I waited a couple days and no fever, just nausea and pain. So I called and got an appointment with my GP. He sent me for a CT and the idiot at the hospital said I had inflammation in my colon on the right side. Told me to eat fiber and sent me home. My GP said possible kidney infection because I had elevated white blood count and gave me antibiotics. Since then we went through the procedures and getting diagnosed.

I feel scared, and alone. My husband is supportive almost to a fault. Yet I still feel alone. So many questions keep bubbling up. So many doubts and worries. I thought knowing what was wrong would help. I guess it has. At least I have a treatment plan.

Hi Becky

You have every right to complain. One chronic illness is bad enough but two is horrid. Crohns sucks big time, but I am so glad that you have been diagnosed. Lots of fibre can be the worst thing for Crohns, I usually go on a low residue diet when flaring but I suspect is not good for the diabetes. It will take time to adjust, be kind to yourself. Everyone is here to support each other, it helps with the loneliness.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Becky and :welcome:

My goodness, :ghug:, after all you have been through and are continuing to go through you have every time to complain! Not that it sounds like you are complaining to me. :heart:

You will find that most people have Crohn’s symptoms for quite some time before they are diagnosed but don’t connect all the dots until they receive the diagnosis. IBD has many EIM’s (Extra Intestinal Manifestations) and it is usually these that plague people before the intestinal ones show up.

You surely have so much on your plate and I hate to think of the difficulty keeping your diabetes in check when taking high doses of Prednisone. :( To be honest, from the symptoms you have described i just don’t know that Pentasa is going to cut it for you once the steroids stop. Pentasa is a mild drug at best and overall pretty useless for Crohn’s as a maintenance medication. Have the docs suggested anything else to you or is that discussion yet to come?

With Ileal disease please be sure and keep an eye on the following as any low levels/deficiencies can compound symptoms:

• Iron Stores
  • Folate
  • B12
  • Vitamin D
  • Magnesum
  • Zinc

I hope the meds are working for you hun and you soon find long and lasting relief. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx