• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD Snacks and veggies

I feel like I am constantly eating bananas with almond butter, hard-boiled eggs, slices of cheese, and avocados. I love all of these, but wonder if anyone has quick, easy SCD-friendly snack ideas to share? Or ideas for quick ways to get more veggies for someone who is not eating them raw for the time being? Especially cooked veggies that travel well for packed lunches other than steamed carrots?

Mashed cauliflower is an option. I make a bunch on Sunday and store in separate containers for the rest of the week. Same with applesauce and pureed carrots.

How do you go about finding quality, aged cheese?

Cheddar aged at least 30 days is SCD friendly (It is aged long enough to no longer contain lactose). I prefer to get cheese that is grass-fed as well. Larger grocery stores that have more natural options or health food stores should carry it.

I have to admit that I eat slices of cold roast lamb as snacks. I can buy a leg of organic grass-fed lamb, roast it with rosemary, eat it hot that night, and leave in the fridge and cut slices for when I feel hungry. You could do the same thing with chicken/turkey/beef.

I have to admit that I eat slices of cold roast lamb as snacks. I can buy a leg of organic grass-fed lamb, roast it with rosemary, eat it hot that night, and leave in the fridge and cut slices for when I feel hungry. You could do the same thing with chicken/turkey/beef.
That sounds delicious.

Squash Buttons are good and travel well. Quick and easy? Hmmm, is anything quick and easy on SCD? LOL. These are fairly quick and easy. They definitely have a bready texture. You could use carrots instead of squash if you want or add veggies to them and leave out the cinnamon. They're quite versatile.

http://www.pecanbread.com/new/recipes/squashbuttons2.html

Squash Buttons II
by Dana

4 eggs
1 cooked acorn squash or 1/2 cooked large butternut squash
1 TBS of Coconut Oil
1 TSP of Cinnamon.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a mini-muffin tin.

Combine ingredients in a food processor or blender and process just
until smooth.
Spoon into mini muffin pan filling cups only halfway.
Bake 30 to 40 minutes until buttons pull away from the sides of the
pan and appear dry and browned around the edges.
Carefully cut around the edges and lift out.

This method has worked well and the buttons do not stick and come out very much like bread.

If you like salmon then salmon patties are delicious. I mix canned salmon, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper and an egg then fry. You can add any veggies you want. They travel well.

Do you make your own mayo?
Yes. I'm on SCD. I posted a full-proof mayo recipe here in the Cooking With Crohn's forum. It's the basic mayo recipe but I use a hand blender instead of a regular blender. There's no drizzling of oil involved and it's worked 100% of the time for me whereas the regular blender method was hit or miss (for me anyway). I blend it in the jar I'll store it in so there's less cleanup too. You know how important it is to lessen the cleanup on SCD, lol.

Yeah I haven't tried making mayo yet because it seemed very involved. Nice to get some tips to cut a few corners! I always mix up gelatin in the dish I set it in, skipping the mixing bowl.

JM, are those made at Trader Joe's or in a bag or what? We're finally getting a TJ and I'm awfully excited!

Yeah I haven't tried making mayo yet because it seemed very involved. Nice to get some tips to cut a few corners! I always mix up gelatin in the dish I set it in, skipping the mixing bowl.
Yeah, me too! And making mayo with a hand blender is literally a dump-and-mix endeavor.

Trader Joe's is a great place to shop for anyone on a restricted diet. For my daughter, who is on SCD, we get fruit leathers, Larabars (some flavors, check the label), nuts that we roast or candy for snacks, great cheeses, frozen fish, dried fruit, etc.

It is the policy of Trader Joe's that everything in the product is listed on the label. People adhering to strict SCD will have to make their own determination about whether they truly trust in that. We decided that we will trust them, and have not had any problems so far with such products as mayonnaise and roasted nuts.

SCD school lunches for my daughter are either built around leftovers in a thermos, or lettuce wraps made with (homemade) egg salad, tuna salad, meat and cheese, etc. Some other things I put in my daughter's lunches for school: Sliced cucumbers with honey-mustard dip; celery sticks with almond butter; homemade fruit roll-ups; homemade meringues; SCD cookies; SCD white chocolates made with cocoa butter, coconut cream, and honey; cut up fruit with a dip made from SCD yogurt, honey, and cinnamon; homemade veggie chips (celeriac and butternut squash and beet, so far).

The plantain chips are in a bag and they are sooooo good! I buy 4 bags a week. TJ has great products! I love their organic ketchup more than Heinz. They have awesome nacho Kale chips that are very tasty too. The nuts are a great snack too! Lastly, the TJ canned tuna is just tuna and water. I don't have a whole foods close by so I am constantly at TJ!

ps Ibligh - those Larabars are awesome! I will have to try the fruit leathers!

JM, are you on SCD? Plantains are illegal. I just realized that. And I was pretty excited about them too. Phooey!

Ibligh, would you share your white chocolates recipe? I played around with some honey and cocoa butter last night and I'm pretty underwhelmed by my efforts. I have some gingerbread cake balls I'd like to dip in a chocolate sauce. (I'll share that recipe if I ever perfect it. Right now it's too dry and not sweet enough.)

I'm looking forward to exploring Trader Joe's! I'm underwhelmed by Whole Foods from an SCD perspective.

wonder if anyone has quick, easy SCD-friendly snack ideas to share? ?
Magnolia, I just discovered cake bombs....edtied: pops, not bombs..... last night. They are basically little cake balls on a stick (the stick isn't necessary). If you google them there are a gazillion recipes that can easily be turned SCD if they aren't already legal. A lot are sweet versions, but I don't see why you couldn't do a savory version. Or just add some veggies to the sweet version.

My experience on SCD so far is there are plenty of sweet things but savory snacks are a niche that needs to be filled. I'm going to be trying a bean/cheese cracker recipe this week and will post it if it works out.

Last edited:
I practice a combination SCD/Paleo. Sorry I should have indicated that. I wonder why they are illegal? Bananas are legal?

I practice a combination SCD/Paleo. Sorry I should have indicated that. I wonder why they are illegal? Bananas are legal?
Oh ok, thanks. I assume plantains have polysaccharides rather than monosaccharides. Monos are legal on SCD, polys not.

My experience on SCD so far is there are plenty of sweet things but savory snacks are a niche that needs to be filled. I'm going to be trying a bean/cheese cracker recipe this week and will post it if it works out.
Agreed. I found a kale parmesan cracker recipe that could be a good option, and will do the same.

It is the policy of Trader Joe's that everything in the product is listed on the label. People adhering to strict SCD will have to make their own determination about whether they truly trust in that. We decided that we will trust them, and have not had any problems so far with such products as mayonnaise and roasted nuts.
I searched the internet a few months ago to see if anyone had researched the roasted nuts from Trader Joes and didn't find anything. Can they be trusted? I thought Elaine said that starch was somehow involved or was a byproduct of the roasting process. I've been eating them lately with no pain and would like to continue to do so guilt free (a 50/50 mix of their 50% less salt almonds and 50% less salt cashews is so good).

Oh! And they are about as "quick and easy" as you can get with SCD. Not as quick and easy as opening a bag of chips but, you know...

Last edited:
We order chunks of it on Amazon for less than half that. It's weird stuff to work with, by the way. It is a hard solid at room temperature so if you splash or drip any of the melted cocoa butter, you have to scrape it off later!

dave13

Forum Monitor
I like these as part of a meal or as a snack,'Hazelnut-Vanilla Pancakes'.This comes from 'Recipes for the SCD' by Raman Prasad.It is simple,and for the SCD,fairly quick.

1 cup almond flour(I use almond meal)
1/4 cup hazelnuts
4 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Blend everything together in a food processor.cook like a regular pancake.

I omit the salt and add cinnamon and nutmeg.I pulse the hazelnuts by themselves,than add the rest of the dry ingredients,and pulse together.I then add the honey,eggs and vanilla extract and pulse a few times.

I think these are very good for breakfast.I find this recipe makes enough to have some left over to pack away to eat with lunch.They are quite filling.

I like mashing a banana,mixing it with yogurt and spreading it on the pancake.I also add fresh blueberries to the banana/yogurt mix.They are pretty tasty by themselves too.I have also done a pecan/almond meal 50-50 blend.

I have and love that cookbook (the spinach chicken bake..Oh my goodness yummy comfort food)... Haven't tried those pancakes yet though, thanks.

Glad to know the parmesan kale chips are good! I'm about to post a recipe for lentil crackers. They're savory. They're CRUNCHY. Like NON-scd crunchy. I just ate a pile of them.