Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa , How long?

07-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Mazen

Pentasa , How long?

Well, I have been taking Pentasa for about 9 years now, along with other meds like prednisone and antibiotics when I flare and Imuran for about 5 years, but the doctor said I will take it for life!!

I never had any side effects with it, but does anybody know if taking Pentasa long term can cause any damage?
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
fenway1971
Sports Crohnie

Mazen -
Mesalamine is for long-term use with little side effects. I'd take it if my body wasn't allergic/hypersensitive to it. I was told that long-term use is ok - just keep an eye on kidney stuff, the creatinine levels specifically.

I was told I need to be on 6mp (sister drug to Imuran) for life. Kind of sobering. Unfortunately for me, it's the only maintenance drug that I can tolerate.

Crohn's Colitis (2003-present)
Kidney Stones (1998, 2003, 2008)

Medication
6-MP (2009-present)

Vitamins/Supplements
Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Turmeric

Super Powers
I am Batman

07-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
farm
Captain Insaneo

I've been on Pentasa for 15 years now. No noticible side effects yet.
Currently I'm taking 500mg 4x daily.
07-14-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Mazen

Thanks guys. I currently take 500 mg 6x daily. Also I have regular blood tests for CBC, liver and kidney function every 6 months. I just recently stopped Imuran on my own a month ago as me and my wife will try to have a baby in a few months.

I'm currently more or less in remission, on a low residue diet trying to cut out refined carbs as much as possible (Semi SCD )and taking a multivit and fish oil.
08-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
PaulaJean

Mazen, from what I understand, Pentasa isn't absorsbed by the body but is a "wash" along the intestines to keep the inflammation at bay...

I take Pentasa (4 pills 4 x day) along with Entocort.
08-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
cuddles37

hello there. i am taking 4 grammes of Pentasa a day. i take 4 (500mg) tablets in the morning and then the same again at bedtime. i've also been worrying about taking them for so long. i was diagnosed in March, 2007 with Crohn's Colitis and have been on prednisolone tablets, predfoam enemas, imuran, mercaptopurine, adcal and actonel. i feel so lucky to be copying on the Pentasa alone(since April, 2008). although i am taking the maximum dose which is meant for a relapse. take care everyone.
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
CROHNS SUFFERER

hi everybody, as you can see from my signature, im on 4 x 500mg of pentasa a day,im noticing my hair is coming away in little clumps when i run my hands through it, the nurse said this could happen. can someone please reassure me that im not going to end up completely bald.

current meds- daily

Prednisolone SUPPOSITRIES 2 X 5MG daily,cipro, 1000mg, imuran 100mg, pentasa 4 x 500g, omeprazole 20mg, and infliximab- every 8 weeks and fish oil and multi vit

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa , How long?