• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and third trimester

I am entering in third trimester (I'm 27 weeks and 3 days today) and I've noticed since I had some contraction like pain last week (constant back pain for 3 hours with a few back tightening/stomach tightening) and ever since I've had diarrhea. It's not terrible, just in the morning. It's also not the first time I've experienced preterm labor contractions with this baby, those started around 24 weeks and usually are brought on by me walking around/exerting myself to much.

I was just curious if crohns typically gets worse in the third tri or if this is the usual precursor to labor like i expirience with DS.

Well that sucks. At least the symptoms aren't bad but I have a feeling they'll get much worse once I give birth. :/ i guess I'll let my GI know tomorrow I'm experiencing some symptoms. Bleh

Hi Lookame, I've only been recently diagnosed. I had my son before I started getting any symptoms. Sorry to hear you are starting to get some of your symptoms back again. Definitely get in touch with your GI and see what they suggest in order to keep your symptoms in check. I know my IBD pharmacist has said it's better to treat the mother and keep things in check than let it go untreated.

Hope you feel better soon!

Well GI wasn't to happy with how things are going. I think he's really frustraited with me. When he became my GI i was at a point of either getting surgery or trying the hard drugs. We've been able to get to a manageable point in my treatement with drugs (before pregnancy it was Remicade, 6mp and lialda after pregnancy i came off 6mp and i became highly allergic to Remicade). Anyway now I'm managed on humira and lialda. Back to the point...he'd like me to get back on 6mp asap but for now he's ok with just staying within the drugs I'm on.

Honestly I feel like it may be hormonal. I've been a mess emotionally, acne wise ect.I'm just excited that in 3 months I'll hopefully start to get back to normal

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Not long after I got married I was researching pregnancy with IBD. I had always dreamed of having children & really was hoping for a couple of our own. I found somewhere that with women that get pregnant 1/3 get better 1/3 get worse and 1/3 stay the same with their IBD during their pregnancy.

We found out with my last flare that I would have been the 1/3 that got worse. As hard as it is, I am thankful now that we chose to get my husband fixed a few years ago. I hope those 3 months goes fairly fast for you lookame. Sending lots of hugs your way.