• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going to start Methotrexate

Hi Im a newb to this site. and really to all forums. but anyway ive had crohns sence 1991. Ive had surgary with 12 inchs removed from small intestines and the ileum. I when into remission for about 9 years or so then had Gal bladder removed. then two years later i started flare up. then when on Asacol and prednisone. that got me straight for a while. then started on 6-mp and that keep me in remission for 4 to 5 years. Then i wanted to start a family so i stopped the 6-mp and the doc said than there is about a 20 to 30 percent that crohns would come back. well September of 08 it came back. so we poped out one more baby. She was born june 25:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) . Now its time for me. Anyway back to what im posting about. I have 2 infusions of Remacade and on the second infusion i had a server reaction. was going to have 3 but didnt make it to the third. Now im back up to 30 mg of prednisone,still on asacol and 6-mp. also im have erothemonodesime. Has anybody takin Methotrexate? That is what my doc is suggesting. im thing about Humera but he said there isnt that much if a track record for that just because of the time that it has been out. both have some BAD side-effect. but what doesnt. Any info would be appreciate Thank you

Lee

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I have been on Methotrexate now, for about 3 months. I get 6/10th of a cc every Monday. I will begin to feel like total crap about one hour after the shot, and that feeling will last for about 12 to 18 hours. BUT, the next day is great! I feel like I am running on rocket fuel. Before I started receiving the shots, I had really bad joint pain, but now I very seldom have any joint pain. Currently I only take 100mg of Azathioprine, and the Methotrexate shot.

My son has been on methotrexate (8 pills 20mgs. once a week) now for about 10 months. The only problem he seems to have after taking the pills is that he is tired the next day. That is why he now takes them on a friday night so he can sleep in on Saturday. That is the only side effect that he complains about.

He just had an endoscope, colonoscopy, and pillcam done the other day and the methotrexate seems to be helping him. Where he had clusters of 5 or more ulcerations he now only has clusters of 2 to 3.

Good Luck!!

Also...about starting with humira or any other...the way my doctor explained it to me is...start out with the tried and true first this way when they don't work anymore (which at one point they all seem to fade) you have something else to work with. it is better to work up to those than to start with those

Well ive had my second shot of Methotrexate and im doing great. The spot on my leg of erothemonodesime is clearing up. Still on prednisone 30 mg and Metronidazole (Flagyl) 500 mg three time a day.That stuff is good for my foot fungus. cleared it up in about two days. I hope i feel this good when ever i get off the awful prednisone. Wife did good sticking me ya.

Leeman - Glad you are doing well! Are you having any side effects with the methotrexate shots? I am probably going to be starting it soon, too, and I'm worried about the nausea most people seem to report.

Mike - Did the nausea episodes last very long after the injection? And is it like a Humira injection where the medicine is already preloaded in the syringe, or do you have to actually draw it up yourself?

Thanks for the info, Mike. Are you taking folic acid? I was told that was advised while on methotrexate. I see the GI on the 17th, so I guess I'll see about starting the methotrexate then. I've got to do something as the Imuran isn't cutting it and I can't stay on prednisone forever! Hope you are doing better.

Other then to little bit of dizziness about 5 min after the first shot. Minor joint pain. i think the asacol (12 400mg per day)has that side effect and the predisone 30mg . Everthing else is ok i feel great. All kinds of energy, again that could be the predisone. Have doc appointment the 11th so hopefully i can start drop the dos on the predisone. I thing that will tell me about the energy level.

B

barinicole

mtx

I am starting methotrexate tomorrow, and I am aware of all of the side effects that come along with it, but I've read on some other forums that people experience weight gain with it...Has anyone experienced this or know anything about this? I just wasn't sure if I should expect it or not. Thanks!

New to Metho

Hi,

I'm new to the website. Name's Michelle. I have had Chron's for about 6 years, I am 27 now. I just started taking Methotrexate last night. I have 4 every wednesday. Only side effect i had was a really bad headache and a bit of puking. Doesn't seem to bad.

I have been on Pentasa, Asacol, Azasan, Endocort, Protonix, Predisone, Flaygal and Imuren. Now moving on to the Metho because of having 5 flare ups in 9 months. Hospitalization required twice.

Well Ive had 4 shots and all is good. after this fourth shot, I was having what could have been bad migraine( never had one but heard they hurt really bad) well the quick burst of pain in my head hurt a lot, what i think could be a migraine.
The joint pain not so much today. Thursday afternoon was ruff. Was walking around like a zombie and just out of it. but today my energy is back to what it has been the last few weeks.. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i get to step down on predisone , down to 20mg for one week then to 10 and then to five and stay there until i get off the flagyl. hopefully by the middle or end of September i will be off predisone and flagyl. YA YA YA YA

Ok, I decided i wanted to play SO, but I have no idea what server is best for a newbie like me, what class is good to start with, and what kind of build to use. I like melee fighting but I also like using magic. I would like a class that doesnt really require too much work. Could you people make some suggestions based on the info above?

Im still here. Ive taken 12 injuections and not any bad side-effects. just the day and day after injection im tiered.Some browner spots on my skin(chest and arms) on the other hand my pop is great. pork and corn seam to go right throw me. Nice 12 to 16 inch stool but brakes up in water. Like Cow patties. Im not on fiber right now but im thinking of starting just to see if it makes a difference. im just enjoying the nice pop schedule. well thats all in my world. Also im having hard time with understanding how a dad can take out his family.

M

mak1

My son who is 13 is due to go on methotrexate, the consultants are running out of ideas for him he as tried all other things, Infliximab,adlibumab,azathioprine,pentasa etc any parents with young children on this can you please advise of the side affects.