Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » "I've cured myself of Crohn's Disease thanks to John Wayne"

06-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
"I've cured myself of Crohn's Disease thanks to John Wayne"

This article is really pissing me off. I won't even copy the text here so as not to give legitimacy. I understand it's a tabloid but this is a serious disease and this article is dangerous.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-li...isease-3726075
06-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Jmrogers4

That's crazy.... It certainly doesn't say anything about labs/doctors confirming his supposed cure/remission. A year symptom free certainly does not constitute a cure. If only it were so easy I would be feeding this to my hubby and son.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
06-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't know what I can say....that won't make this an 18+ post.

Even worse, a desperate person may decide to follow this guys "cure" and abruptly stop all meds, which may include prednisone. It's a recipe for disaster.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
06-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I saw this earlier.. It's emerged in the after math of all the nonsense in the media over here..

I could not believe it when I read it, it is so utterly rediculous and completely undermines the severity of this disease. I am more than done with the British media in the past few days.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, pentasa, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
06-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I just really lack words or like DJW, polite words to describe my feelings about this article. To call one guys story a cure is in itself insane, to have no scientific backing is another and to make it all worse people might try this now or tell people "there is a cure for crohns, i read about it"

12 day old bread can get people sick no? Doesn't sound like a crohns cure and more like a bacterial infection waiting to happen.
06-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Im also running out of polite words, I'm not generally an angry person, but after the slating crohns and ibd in general has taken in our media im struggling to keep my temper any more. It's amazing how much damage one misinformed idiot can do when put on the countries most trusted broadcaster to millions of people.
06-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
The only surprise in this article is the bread isn't gluten free and organic. God the press is so stupid.
06-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Oh yeah , people are always jumping on the gluten free bandwagon .. Makes me sick when I see gluten free being used as a weight loss diet or something.. Makes those of us who really need it look like we do it for fun..
06-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
Bright side: This fad means you have a lot more cooking options for a few years! It'll go the way of Atkins soon enough.
06-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
That's definitely true, I've been diagnosed 7 years and it's already got much more wide spread. My peadi GI actually said 'you'll find as you get older you'll find more and more food, because gluten free food is expensive and companies will exploit that to make as much money as possible' .
06-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
God eating must be so expensive for you, my sympathies.
06-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
wildbill_52280

there is almost no way he is cured, so unlikely but here some possible explanations if this is even true at all.

He said he fasted for 24 hours, that may have put him in a remission as it can dramatically lower inflammation, and work like anti inflammatory drugs that are used to treat crohn's already look for studies if you don't believe me. Also, good bacteria may have colonized the old moldy bread, but microwaving it would have killed them, but the proteins may have been intact, these proteins also could have have antibacterial properties and put him in remission or even have been anti inflammatory.
06-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I am so dumbfounded and angry right now.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
06-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #14
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Upon looking at this picture, I do declare, I am cured!
06-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Igor_Passau
Forum Monitor

from all posts nobody believe in miracle and me too
06-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
SallyJane

My Support Groups:
Hi,

I have just read in a UK paper, The Daily Mail, an article about an elderly gentleman, who has suffered badly with Crohns all his life. Prompted by something he saw on television, he decided to try a home made treatment for his condition.

He cut 7 slices of bread and left it on the side in the kitchen, covered with a cloth. The day before he was due to eat it, he fasted.
Milk was added to the bread and then microwaved - and eaten!
He said from that day on he had no more diarrheah and had normal bowel functions. He only tried it the once and has never had any problems since.

Has anyone tried this? It doesn't sound very appetizing, but if it works, then worth a try?

Sally
06-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
theOcean

My Support Groups:
If the cure was that easy, we'd all be cured. But we aren't, unfortunately. This article is just spreading a lot of false information about Crohn's.
06-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
D Bergy

I don't see any downside in trying it.

Dan
06-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Upon looking at this picture, I do declare, I am cured!
Maybe I should make that piece of bread my new avitar.
06-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #20
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
12 day old bread could have fungus and get you sick. Even if there was no downside you don't just do things just because. Tap your toes 5 times and quack like a chicken, it MAY help your crohns.
06-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #21
D Bergy

I think any person of average intelligence is not going to eat moldy bread.

When a 70 year old man who has suffered with the disease for decades suddenly goes into remission after trying something new, it gets my attention. He has nothing to sell, gets no benefit from telling his story. He can count on a lot of ridicule.

The dumb part is anyone can test it at no cost, and yet we would prefer to debate "how many teeth are in the horses mouth".

If it works for one person out of a thousand it is worth while. If it doesn't, nobody is out anything.

Dan
06-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #22
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
If you want to test it go for it. The issue is the media not covering the reality of the disease. People not knowing the difference between IBS and IBD. Big Pharma making crohns look like the biggest issue is finding a bathroom when your out. Now the media all over this. Why don't you people (crohns suffers) all just eat stale bread, get cured and be happy. That's the real issue. I'm glad he's in remission. I have a huge problem with the word cure. It minimizes the realty of IBD.
06-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #23
SupportiveMom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
DJW, I agree with the issue of using the word cure. He might have achieved remission but certainly isn't cured. Maybe he won't get another flare in his lifetime but that doesn't mean the disease is gone.

Ileostomy surgery July 2015

Current Meds: None!
Previous Meds: Humira, Remicade, Methotrexate, Cipro, Flagyl, Zofran, Cortifoam, 5-ASA suppository, Questran, Mezavant, EEN (Peptamen Jr. 1.5) by NG tube, Antibiotic Cocktail (Vancomycin, Metronidazole & Doxycycline), Simponi, Prevacid, Imuran, prednisone
ibdsupportivmom.wordpress.com ☆
06-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
D Bergy

I agree that cure is not the correct terminology. He is not a researcher and the reporter certainly knows the difference, but "cure" sells media. Of course it is sensationalized like everything else.

I just don't think personal accounts should be tossed aside just because they seem unlikely to be true. He is more credible to me than the pharma company hawking treatments, or the multi level marketing person selling some kind of cure all. They all have financial interests in their treatments. This man has none.
He may be wrong, but he is unlikely to have any other agenda.

Since his method has almost zero chance of causing harm, and costs nothing, why not try it?

I have tried stranger things, and some do help.

I won't be trying it because I currently have no symptoms. I have no way to measure results. I would be interested in positive or negative results of anyone that does try it.

Its not like Merck is ever going to study it.

Dan
06-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #25
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Honestly it's so out there I expect it to be an April fools joke or on a comic news site like the onion. He may be truly trying to help but he is just in remission and who knows why. Considering all the research suggesting grains might be part of the prob in IBD I'm not gonna shove my face full of old white bread. I'll just enjoy a nice fresh bread, keep calm and crohns on.
06-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #26
D Bergy

Not as out there as helminth therapy and fecal transplants. This seems pretty pedestrian by comparison.

I would be more concerned about either of those two treatments. Hard to get past the yuk factor alone.

Dan
06-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #27
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Sorry, I can't give any credence to this nonsense. Millions of people with and without crohns eat bread, some with problems and some without. The worms are based on tricking the immune system. It might be yuck but it's based on the hygiene hypothesis and there is a basis for it. This has no basis, no research, no other anecdotes even and on top of that most of us on this forum eat bread and hot water!
06-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #28
wildbill_52280

Not as out there as helminth therapy and fecal transplants. This seems pretty pedestrian by comparison.

I would be more concerned about either of those two treatments. Hard to get past the yuk factor alone.

Dan

out there?

Fecal Transplants are backed by super solid science, we are missing bacteria in our guts and replacing these bacteria could help treat the disease. The good bacteria regulate the inflammatory response.
06-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #29
D Bergy

Fecal transplants help those with c-diff but last I heard, had no lasting effect for Crohns.
But, that is not the point. The science begins with a hypothesis or an accidental discovery, hunch, whatever. Somebody has to have enough curiosity to actually try whatever the proposed treatment is.

While it is convenient to have the hypothesis first, the hypothesis is only proven by actual results. I'm the case of Crohns, the hygiene hypothesis has not proven true by actual results, so why is that of more value than something that has one claim of positive results but no hypothesis?

Either way the results must come from actual people testing the proposed treatment. Since this one has virtually no risk, why debate it. Test it. Either it works or it won't. How much simpler can it possibly be.

If you read my link posted under research you will see an article regarding the regeneration of stem cells caused by nothing more than fasting alone. If you need a tenuous hypothesis to grab on to, use that one.

This is not a complex problem. Test it or don't test it. But, speculation is really getting nobody anywhere.

Dan
06-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #30
Jennifer
Adminstrator

"I take my miracle cure on a regular basis to keep everything under control..."

Why would you need to if you were cured? You've gone low residue to an extreme and unhealthy at that.

I had 14 years of remission yet am now in a flare. There is no cure. What a load of horseshit.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel (endometriosis), Tylenol 3 (Osteoarthritis), Zantac 150mg 2/day (acid reflux), Klonopin 1mg (Panic Disorder), Imitrex 25mg (migraines), Zofran 8mg (nausea)
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 19 years and counting.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » "I've cured myself of Crohn's Disease thanks to John Wayne"