• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hospilization

So this past several months I have been having a constant flare up, in the past two weeks I have been admitted in the hospital. The last hospital visit they only kept me for a day. This current time and day I am in the hospital again. Yesterday I came in to the ER because I am still constantly having cramps in my lower left side of my stomach and is making its way to my back, more quantity of blood in my stools, vomiting, running fever, and large swollen burning knots on both of my knee caps and elbows. I have been on Imuran 100mg a day once a day, flagell, cipro, and protonix. Now they have me humira and remicade They moved me from ER to a Observation unit that is only to be under observation 24 to 48 hours... Doctors are at a standstill on what they should do, so they moved me In-Patient to the hospital because they really don't know how long my stay might be here. My blood count keep going down little by little, blood pressure is always 80s/50s which is not good. This is all becoming a little frustrating and keeping me from working. Does anyone know of something that may help. They have given me all the meds they can and im now on the most aggressive treatments (humira and remicade). They make my immune system go down and now on top of that they have been making me take steroids again which doesn't help at all. All this time it just feels like they are just giving me a temporary Band-Aid for my condition. :confused2::ymad:

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Ashley. Sorry to hear you've been admitted. Based on what you've described it sounds like the hospital is the best place to be. Unfortunately I have no additional advice. Keep talking to the doctors. Ask lots of questions.

Sending you my support. I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

I'm so sorry to heat this.
Do they have you on bowel rest? That's the only other thing I can think of to help. Sorry.
Have they also checked your gallbladder/live/pancreas? Those can cause pains to wrap around to your back.

I hope your improving very soon. Hugs

Yes they have me on Bowel Rest, just full liquids. They have checked everything they just really don't know what to do. The hospital is the best place for me right now I just hate being here.

I know when I was in the hospital, before I was even able to go on meds to treat me for my Crohn's I was on TPN for a week. I was only allowed to drink water, no food at all. Unfortunately, Remicade has worked for me since my other hospital stay, so I can't really recommend a treatment. I totally understand how you're feeling right now - the hospital is NOT a fun place to be and being in that tiny little hospital bed is not at all comfortable. Being there and being hooked up to an IV is the best thing for you right now. I hope they figure out a treatment that works for you!

Yes I know the hospital is the best place for me at this point. But it is also frustrating that even the doctors do not know what to do at this point. they have tried every medicine under the sun to help control it and it has never worked. when im in the hospital I do wonderful as soon as I get home I go straight back to where I was before I went to the hospital. maybe surgery is the only thing left for me to do at this point. Whatever I need to do I will, because I can not keep living my life like this. this is not a life I would want to live anyway. plus I have a 2 year old daughter that im missing out on because of tons of hospitalizations.