• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eyes?

Anyone have issues with their eyes? I am pretty sure I have Iritis, I am going to the eye dr this evening to get checked out. I am just starting to feel better from a flare that started end of April.
What does the eye dr do to diagnose Iritis? Any treatment?

My eye are so sensitive, watery, dry, and achy. Seems to get worse as the day goes on. Anyone experience this?

My son has episcleritis one of the eye EIMs(extra intestinal manifestations) that go along with IBD. It is important to see an ophthalmologist if you are having issues and preferably one that is versed in issues involving the eyes and IBD. Some eye EIMs aren't as serious as others, like episcleritis compared to uveitis, scleritis or iritis.

Hope you find some answers.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I've got Iritis. I forget how my eye doctor diagnosed me since it's been over 13 years since he's done it. But, I end up putting eye drops in my eyes twice a day. Since I have IBD he likes to keep a watch on my eyes too. But, I have an annual check every year and he dilates my eyes every other year. Let me know if you need more info than this & I can find it for you...

Ok, went to my optometrist, she said it is not iritis. I have the beginning of a cataract in one of my eyes, I've known about for a few years, and when dust or too much sunlight gets in it irritates part of the eye. So she gave me drops, told me to remember my sunglasses, and try to keep it clean. So, that was good news. Finally, this flare has really thrown me a curve ball!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I had really bad uveitis once. The test was the same as an annual eye exam for one who wears glasses. They dilated my pupils. The most annoying part is the bright light that has to be shone directly into the eye so they can examine it. They used the yellow dye/eye drops as well but those don't do anything really just help your doctor to visually detect anything wrong.

Sorry about the cataract but glad you don't have iritis/uveitis because it truly is uncomfortable and annoying to live with.

I also had a blood test to check for inflammation.

I've had several iritises so I feel your pain! Mine get to be quite light sensitive, watery, and soon it seems like I'm looking at the world through a cloudy veil, even though there is no mucus or other debris in my eye. My eye doc said people generally have pain in the affected eye, but I have never had this. Just goes to show that we are all affected differently!
To diagnose an iritis the doc will look into the eye and check for inflammation of the iris. They also look at the retina to make sure there are no problems there. One thing my doc has always told me is to go in right away if I suspect an iritis because the can lead to retinal detachment and possible blindness! That's only if they go untreated though.
As far as treatment goes, I'm usually given pred forte eye drops and a strict administration schedule to follow.
Hope that helps some! And good luck!