• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recipes

Hi Everyone,
I know when I have a big flare my first panicked thought is "What can I eat to make this go away?" So every now and then I hope to put up some recipes that I make from other recipes I find, or just useful recipes I hope you will all join me with your favorite recipes and meal ideas.:ycool:

Ok everyone here is my first one....

Fish Pie Supreme

25 Grams Dairy free margarine
1 Tablespoon Soya milk (or any dairy free milk should work)
3 Cups cooked mashed potatoes
3/4 Teaspoon salt (optional)
black pepper (optional)
1 Tablespoon Dairy free Margarine
1 Tablespoon Rice Flour (or any gluten free flour should work)
1 Cup Soya milk (or any dairy free milk should work)
500 Grams smoked fish or 425 Grams flaked and drained tuna
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
2 hard-boiled eggs (optional)

Mash potatoes with first lot of margarine and soya milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Line a casserole or 20 cm pie dish with half the potato mix. heat the second lot of margarine and stir in the rice flour and cook until frothy (doesn't froth up as much as with wheat flour). Gradually add second measure of soya milk, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Add fish, parsley, and eggs. Cook at 190C for 20 minutes or until pale golden.

This recipe was originally found in the New Zealand Edmonds Cookery Book dated 1994 and has been altered to suit my requirements.

Here is another Recipe I have found to be nice

Apricot Chicken

6 pieces of chicken or some diced chicken

Sauce

425g can apricot halves
1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt
pepper

put chicken in a pot or casserole dish. Then puree all sauce ingredients together and pour over chicken. Then cook the chicken mix in oven or on an element (depending on the pot used) until chicken is cooked through. If you want to you can add your favorite vegetables before you cook the chicken and they will taste delicious.

This recipe was originally found in the New Zealand Edmonds Cookery Book dated 1994 and has been altered to suit my requirements.

Shepherd's Pie

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (optional)
500g mince
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
3/4 cup stock or water
3 potatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon Dairy free margarine
soya milk
salt pepper

Cook mince and onion (optional) in a casserole dish. drain off extra fat and stir in flour. Add tomato sauce and stock or water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes. Peal and boil potatoes then mash with soya milk and Dairy free margarine. Season both the mince and potato mixes with salt and pepper (and other herbs and spices you can handle). Top mince mix with mashed potatoes then cook in the oven at 190c for 20 minutes or until golden.

Irish Stew

1 kilo hogget shoulder chops, fat removed or 1kilo diced lamb or beef
3 Onions, sliced (optional)
6 potatoes, pealed and sliced
3 Carrots, pealed and sliced
2 kumara, pealed and sliced
2 cups beef stock
salt
pepper
other herbs you like and can handle

Put everything into a pot (I like my pressure cooker for this) and bring to the boil making sure everything is covered by the stock or add some water or more stock. Then cook until the meat falls apart and stew is thick.

Hi everyone while surfing today I stumbled across these recipes and thought you might all like to try some of them, I have not altered these yet but I expect you could drop any herbs or spices or anything else you have problems with.

Vegan Fettucine Alfredo
Ingredients:

1 package silken (soft) tofu
1 tbsp soy margarine
1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Supreme vegan sour cream
2 tbsp Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup soy milk
pasta

Preparation:
Place all ingredients (except pasta) into a blender. Blendy to a creamy sauce, adding more soy milk to achieve desired consistency.
Heat gently until hot, but do not boil.
Serve over fettucini pasta.

cashew milk vegan fettuccine alfredo

Ingredients:

1 tsp olive oil
1 8-ounce package vegan Mozzarella-flavored cheese substitute
2 tbsp white wine
2 tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese substitute
1 tsp garlic powder
pinch black pepper

Preparation:
In sauce pan, add olive oil and heat to medium heat; add remaining ingredients adjusting thickness with the addition of white wine or vegetable stock.

Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:

3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp vegan margarine
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp flour
1 cup vegan non-dairy sour cream substitute
1 cup soy milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
In a large soup or stock pot, sautee the mushrooms, onion and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 - 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
Reduce heat to medium low and add the vegetable broth. Cover and allow to simmer for at least 45 minutes.
Add the flour, non-dairy sour cream and soy milk, stirring well to combine. Allow to simmer another 20 - 30 minutes, or until soup has thickened. Season generously with salt and pepper before serving.

Vegan sour cream
Ingredients:

1/4 pound soft (silken) tofu, patted dry
1/4 pound firm tofu, patted dry
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp soy sauce

Preparation:
Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.

Basic Vegan Quiche with Soy Cheese Recipe

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
6-8 mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz frozen shortcrust pastry
1/2 block firm tofu
1 tsp soy milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
3-4 tomatoes, sliced thin

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook the onion, mushrooms and garlic in oil until soft, about 3 to minutes.
Press the pastry into a quiche dish and bake for 5 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, process the tofu, soy milk and salt and pepper until smooth.
Mix together the tofu and veggies and add the vegan cheese. Gently pour into baked pastry.
Layer the sliced tomatoes across the top of the quiche.
Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until done.

Cheesy Vegan Garlic Bread Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Vegenaise, vegan mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar or nacho flavored vegan cheese
1 cup thinly sliced green onions, with tops
3 cloves minced garlic
1 loaf French bread, halved lengthwise
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley (optional)

Preparation:
Mix Vegenaise, vegan cheese, onions, and garlic. Spread on bread halves. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Wrap each half in foil. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or freeze.
Unwrap and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes (20-25 minutes if frozen) or until puffed but not brown. Cut into slices.

Vegetarian Tofu Lasagna with Spinach Recipe
Ingredients:

1/2 pound lasagna noodles
2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 pound soft tofu
1 pound firm tofu
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup soymilk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp minced fresh basil
2 tsp salt
1 32-ounce jar of tomato sauce

Preparation:
Prepare the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain carefully and set aside on a towel.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Squeeze the spinach as dry as possible and set aside. Place the tofu, sugar, soymilk, garlic powder, lemon juice, basil and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with a thin layer of tomato sauce, then a layer of noodles. Follow that with a layer of half the tofu and half the spinach. Continue in the same order, using half the remaining tomato sauce and noodles and the rest of the tofu mixture and spinach. End with the remaining noodles covered by the remaining tomato sauce.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tomato sauce bubbles.

Hi Lets Live

They all sound great :) Looks like you are lactose intolerant or don't do animal products?

Just wanted really to say hi because i see you are a fellow Kiwi and it's somehow nice to know there is someone closer to home dealing with this disease.

Any recipes that are completely low residue and with no carbs would be great :) I'm a bit stuck at the moment wth what I can eat while healing and it is a bit boring

sharon