• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint Pain

I'm typically a very active person, but I am experiencing terrible joint pain. I don't ever want to walk up or down stairs. I'd rather stay seated, so my knees, ankles and feet don't hurt. Please let me know what meds have relieved these symptoms for you.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Carlahope. I know a lot of people here have terable joint pain.

What have you been diagnosed with?

Are you in an active flare?

Have you been referred to a rheumatologist?

I take tylonal, I'd prefer Advil but IBD folks need to stay away from NSAID pain relief.

I'd suggest giving your doc a call if its really bad.

Hope you feel better soon.

DJW. Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I am in an active flare. Have been for about 2 1/2 months. Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and my Dr. thinks Crohns too, just waiting for another colonoscopy to verify.
I have tried tylenol and advil - they don't work. The only thing that seems to help is Aleve, but I know that's not a permissable drug. Other than that I don't take anything. My Dr. doesn't give pain meds.

Hi calahope,
When I was in remission, apple cider vinager capsules (3 x 500mg from Webber Naturals at Costco) was sufficient to keep arthitic pain away. I have been using it since 1999 and it was working as long as I was in remission.

I'm in a Crohn's flare and on Imuran already; my GI added Humira. It seems to be working very well for the bone and joint pain as that all came back with a vengence... I avoided stairs and all walking as much as I could too.

Even if it's not advisable to use NSAIDs, these are the only things that offer me any kind of relief from any pain (headache, joint pains, etc). I am careful with these.... they aren't very good for us.

I also use "pain patches" as well, like the Salonpas patches. It works pretty well. They don't affect your overall system and help with targeted pain in a specific location.

good luck with the colonoscopy!

Thank you Anny. I have never heard of apple cider vinegar capsules (3 x 500 mg from Webber Naturals at Costco), but I will definitely try them!

Unfortunately the NSAIDs are the only thing that give me some relief, but I try not to take them.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

my little penguin

Staff member
You really need to see a Rheumotologist .
Joint pain can be arthralgia or arthritis associated with Ibd.
Most tend to have symtpoms when the Ibd is flaring and once it's calmed down the symptoms go away. These tend to happen in the lower extremities .

A Rheumo can help you differentiate the two .
Also it can be independent of Ibd activity.

Once you get the Ibd under control the pain will disappeAr
Either way the Rheumo is the best way to go.

DS has arthritis in his hands that runs independent of Ibd even while on humira.
http://www.ccfa.org/resources/arthritis.html