• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this and need advice :)

Hi there,

I've been suffering for a couple of years with all different symptoms. At the beginning i ignored my symptoms because I thought it was probably due to something silly like certain foods that i was eating. The symptoms are now getting alot worse such as bad stomach cramps, having to run to the toilet many times! (which seems to be worse in the mornings), mucus and blood when i go to the bathroom and now i've been getting so tired and run down that it's difficult to do much in my day. This is now affecting day to day life :( It's difficult to lone work in my job incase I have to run to the bathroom or get sick and i'm worried that they won't understand my situation. I've been to the doctors many times now and they keep saying I have IBS. They have given me all types of medication including anti depressants :s The only tests they have done were bloods. I'm just worried it's maybe something more serious especially after reading alot of your stories. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one!

I hope someone can give me some advice,

Kirsty x

You could ask for a fecal calprotein test, it's a stool test that is very good at telling you exactly how much inflammation is in your GI tract. It's very useful for monitoring and diagnosing IBD. Many people struggle to get a diagnosis and get fobbed off my doctors/told it's "just IBS" - we have an entire subforum for the undiagnosed.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi there and welcome to the forum

I'm sorry you aren't feeling yourself :( and that you are having trouble getting a diagnosis.

You can get a stool test like the one Orchid mentioned and you can also get a test for blood in your stool.

Although blood tests can be useful indicators for some people they cannot diagnose or rule out IBD.

I'd advise asking for a second opinion and trying to get some imaging done such as a CT or MRI scan. The MRI I had was the first test to show any indication of something wrong after years of useless blood tests and even a stool test.

You know youre body. IBS doesn't cause bleeding. Keep pushing until you get taken seriously.

hi :)
I know I'm going back tomorrow and I may have to demand more tests to be done because they tend to just tell me it's IBS. I appreciate your help :) thank you