• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Girlfriend, trying to find answers

• Thread starter the_worried_girlfriend
  • Start date
T

the_worried_girlfriend

girlfriend, trying to find answers

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 4 and a half months. He's been diagnosed with Crohns for about a year and a half now. He's very open with me about it and tells me in details whats happening. He started this new medication that was supposed to be THE solution. The first infusion worked wonderfully and I hadn't seen him that healthy in over two months. The second one didn't work out as great and after a blood test, he went back to the hospital after a week for another infusion, although he was supposed to wait 3 weeks. I'm very worried about him, as I only know the basics of the disease. I read through a couple of posts and realized that it seems harder to cure then i thought. Are the right medications really that hard to find? and if he doesn't find it soon how will this effect him? Could it be that he has something more than just Crohns disease thats gone undetected? I'm worried he won't get better and hate to see him like this and feeling helpless.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi WG, glad you're here. You have a found a great place with a wealth of information to help you understand.
the_worried_girlfriend said:
I read through a couple of posts and realized that it seems harder to cure then i thought.
There is no cure for Crohn's. He will have it forever. There is remission however, and remission IS acheivable. It may sound dismal if you read a lot of the posts here, but many members who find remission feel that they don't need the site any more. Many return when their symptoms return.
I am in remission right now, and feeling fabulous if that helps you feel any better. I have gained back all of the weight I lost (and more, ugh) and feel 95% normal.

What med is your bf getting? Whomever told you it was THE solution was mistaken to phrase it that way. You can never tell what a med is going to do until you try it. Some people do very well on Remicade, some don't. Some do well on Sulfasalazine, some don't. Same with food. Some can eat onions, some can't. It's hit or miss with almost everything when you have Crohn's. Some people have diarrhea, some have constipation, some bleed, some get fistulas - everyone is different symptom wise and treatment wise.

the_worried_girlfriend said:
Could it be that he has something more than just Crohns disease thats gone undetected?
It is very possible that there is more than just Crohn's going on. If you look at the signatures of many members on here, they list what illnesses they have. Many of us have more than just Crohn's. I was hyperthyroid at the time of diagnosis, so it took quite a while to get diagnosed.

Good luck with everything, and welcome.