• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mesalazine sups causing pain

Started 500mg Mesalazine suppository yesterday. The first was so painful sent me in to s spasm and needed to evacuate my bowels within 5 minutes. The second and third still hurt and cause left sided cramps without the urgency to toilet. Is this normal?:(

I use them and have never experienced any pain from the suppositories themselves . I try to use them after a large bowle movement , if not I will need to . My doctor told me that they need to be in there for at least an hour . They have been a big help for me . It took me awhile to get use to them though . Hope you get to feeling better .

Thanks, this mornings dose seems much more comfortable than last nights. Im also on an 8 week course of pred too. I was only diagnosed yesterday.