• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

OMG new Humira commercial sucks!

nogutsnoglory

So you guys have seen me vent about how much I hate Humira commercials and I think most of you agree that it diminishes the reality of our suffering.

Well Humira hasn't listened to us because the newest commercial is the worst one yet. Shows some young woman saying her moderate to severe crohns didn't really bother her so she figured she is fine but nope she needed Humira and now is really fine!

This commercial translates to crohns isn't really a problem but if you have it you need Humira. I'll see if I can find a video to share. Ugh.

nogutsnoglory

I have seen them run more than one crohns variety at a time and also of course other conditions like psoriasis or arthritis. I find those demeaning of those illnesses too. I couldn't find a video of this one yet to share.

This whole Crohns thing is so subjective from one patient to the other. How can they possibly depict what moderate or severe Crohns looks like? Really having a Debbie Downer day with all this propaganda and the medical field to boot!!

nogutsnoglory

It's true that it's hard to explain and they can't get too graphic with any bathroom or surgery scenes but they list basic symptoms that aren't even the "real" issue with crohns and what should be discussed is what differentiates the illness from IBS. We aren't just the needing to go to the bathroom and cramping illness, that's the tip of the iceberg. The closest commercial to talking about the severity was one that said the underlying inflammation was the real issue.

Oh my goodness, YES!!! I absolutely hate the new Humira add. It's very demeaning and downplays Crohn's. This is a serious illness that can be lifethreatening. I think it deserves a more serious and respectful add. If Humira can't manage this, then it would be better to not even have these adds.

I guess on the upside, at least there is no mention of *gasp* "damaging inflammation"....

I wonder if this has anything to do with Abvie's Humira Patents expiring next year- slimming the marketing budget, making t hose horrid commercials etc.

nogutsnoglory

Well it makes sense because they will want to make one last push for as much as they can milk from the drug but also won't want to spend as much.

Why the f&@€ they need to advertise drug like Humira in the first place? It brings big bucks to Abbvie anyway by being most profitable drug of all time. It is considered late in the line of medications for these diseases (I hope, but more and more it is prescribed early). People try to avoid it as much as possible, and take it only if they really need it. Ad itself tells more about the frickin adverse reactions than the drug itself so maybe it is just their way of informing people about those.. Anyways it sucks big time!

nogutsnoglory

Anyone seen the new commercial by Abbvie directing people to their crohns info site? It's like a Halloween spooky theme haha. Don't ignore the leak in your house, it's exactly like IBD. yeah ok!

Another bonus of the NHS - no adverts for prescription meds here!

I remember years ago when I was on holiday in the US and watching tv in the hotel and being taken aback by all the adds for medication and the ridiculous bits they added at the end about all the dangers of the med and how, by the way, it might kill you, etc. :eek2:

Non-prescription meds are advertised on tv here, but generally non-prescription meds are much safer, so there's never much said about risks and side effects. Some of the ads are quite weird though. Since Crohn's meds all require prescriptions they're not advertised, but there are ads for meds to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome and diarrhoea and constipation which don't exactly portray sufferers of digestive problems in a flattering light.

Anyone seen the new commercial by Abbvie directing people to their crohns info site? It's like a Halloween spooky theme haha. Don't ignore the leak in your house, it's exactly like IBD. yeah ok!
OMG...i had to rewind it and show it to my mom because that is EXACTLY how it resonates. Some of us (not that many apparently) have basically silent inflammation or little symptoms that we tend to ignore; eh, i can deal with adbominal pain (a thin crack in the wall); oh this soreness doesn't mean anything (a thin crack leaking)....nothing has ever resonated SO well. The other commercials, i can't identify with at all...

this is exactly what my mom has been telling me for 2 years...something could be simmering/"leaking" and out of all times, it's like God sent me that commercial lol.