• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and IBS

Hi my name is Tania I have had Crohn's for 21 years and now have IBS as we'll double pain in the arse. I take salzapryn in the morning and at night IBS support capsules. Inner health powder twice a day. I am in pain everyday. So many foods I can't touch having to go to the toilet about 5 times a day and that's on my good days.When I first got diagnosed the doctor but me on prednisone helped with Crohn's made me put on weight gave me the shakes, prickly skin I could eat what I wanted.now what I can eat is very limited. With the Crohn's I get ulcers in the rectum which cause pain and lots of bleeding.knowing there is a site were other people I have the same as me will help as I find a lot of people don't understand every thing I go through every day. What it takes just to get out the door.When I was first diagnosed I found out I was pregnant which was a god sent for me because my symptoms went into remission for 9 months but then they were back.I have had many trips to hospital over the years pain that's worse then childbirth.

P

Hi Tania, I have also been recently diagnosed with IBS on top of crohns. I have to say I don't find IBS medication any use. I saw a dietician at the hospital who recommended that I avoid lactose and gluten. I am trying organic and vegan but honestly not convinced it is helping, but will see. I take amitryptline 100 mg at night which helps and I don't have to get up during the night. I am also on codeine, tramadol and oramorph for diarrhoea (codeine) and pain. I am finding it a real struggle at the moment and hope it calms down.

I find the IBS medication helps a bit. Some days nothing works for pain or the IBS which makes it hard to go out. What annoys me most is the ongoing trips to the toilet when I wake up. It would be nice to wake up without pain just one morning. I hope the organic and vegan work for you.

What I was told was that the diet for IBS is the opposite to IBD. So high fibre for IBS and low fibre for crohns when flaring. Diarrhoea is the bane of my life. I have to wear pads all the time and live in leggings because I feel more secure that way. You should look into diarrhoea medications. I can't leave the house without them. I was told 3 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. It might be worth asking to go to pain management as pain is debiliting. I went once but didn't go back, although considering going again. Someone on another site has injections into the stomach to help with spasms and pain. Are you sure that the crohns is in remission? My pain is in the same place, all the time. You might want to think about alternative therapy. I had acupuncture for a couple of months which really helped.