• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have u experience Serum sickness? ?

Went for blood work..waiting for doc to call back. At first they thought I had drug induced lupus...and now they think I have serum sickness. Friday the 11th I had my infusion. Everything was fine til 45 min after infusion was done. I started with some joint pain. By Saturday morning I had joint pain Everywhere by Sunday I had body pain EVERYWHERE. It felt like someone beet me with a bat or had the flu 10x . I have nausea, fatigue and headache.

Some blood work came back. High SED rate, Low RBC, high MCH and high MCV.

Have u experience Serum sickness ?? What was your experience? How was it treated??

I can't take steriods...allergic. I am also on imuran , pentasa and tramadol.

Remicade gave me serum sickness - was pretty awful. Went away eventually, I also had horrific swelling - looked like the stay puffed marshmellow man - not pretty. Very painful joints still sore, but not as bad as they were. It will pass though.

I'm now on Humira - only just started hopefully it works

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I got a bad case of serum sickness two weeks after my first dose, a couple of days before my second loading dose. It struck very quickly, in the span of 3 hours I went from feeling a little unwell to being in extreme pain and having every joint in my body seize up. I was in the hospital on morphine for week. After a couple of days I was eventually able to move better, but needed a walker for a bit, and then a cane for awhile.

Basically take painkillers and ride it out, there is no fast why of getting over it. Stretching exercises or yoga might help but you really just wait for it to pass.

:ybatty:
How did u get rid of it? Did u just deal with the pain? Chasing after a 3 year old..and feeling like this is not a combo
Just dealt with the pain, Tylenol and slept a lot - gave it my level best to stay off of my feet and just rode it through. Unfortunately for me I am allergic to most everything they can give you for pain so.....it will pass it is just really painful - sorry

And yes you feel like someone beat you with a large stick:ybatty:

Last edited:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I didn't have nausea, I was feeling run down, thought I was getting sick. I went to the walk-in clinic to get checked out, the doctor told me to go to the hospital as I was getting progressively paler as I spoke to him.

And yes it felt like someone beat the hell out of me, I couldn't move. Once the pain set inn I no longer noticed the part where I felt like I had the flu.